211

I prepared myself for death, fully expecting to slam into the ground at any moment as we continued to drop. For a moment, it seemed as though everything went silent. The wing, the sound of two dragons fighting for their lives, and the sounds of my own screams, it all went silent. After a moment, I came out of my trans like state when Doron suddenly jerked up towards the sky again. I looked up to see that he had shaken the dragon lose from his chest, and that it was now hovering above him. Within a second, the dragon spat fire down on Doron once again before latching onto Doron's head with his claws. Doron shrieked in pain as he violently shook his head back and forth trying to shake it off of him. I could see the other rider clinging to his dragon, just as I was mine. 

"Help us!" I screamed down towards the ground hopelessly.

I felt the tears welling up in my eyes, as I was sure Doron would be fatally wounded. The violent shaking made everything a blur, but I knew I could see blood. From which dragon, I could not tell. 

I felt as though all hope was lost, before suddenly, the dragon let go and dove back into the clouds. I looked around frantically, trying to figure out what had happened, to see Magar and Ragon soaring past us after the fleeing dragon.

"Get after it!" I shouted.

Doron quickly obliged, diving back down into the fight. As we broke through the clouds, I could see the fighting down below still going on, with Magar now engaging with the attacking dragon far below. Doron shuttered as he tried to flap his injured wing. I could tell that he wasn't going to stay aloft for much longer.

"Down! Get down!" I order.

Veracon pulled along side us. I looked at Amy. She was motioning for me to jump to her. 

"No! I won't!" I shouted at her.

But Doron seemed to understand Amy's gesture. I could see in his eyes as he looked back at me that he wanted me to go.

I took in a deep breath.

"Okay." I said through my shaky, quivering voice.

Veracon dropped to just under Doron's injured wing. Reluctantly, I stumbled to my feet.

"Get down safe." I said.

I ran to the base of his wing, and jumped. After a few seconds, I painfully collided with Veracon's Back, and was instantly wrapped into Amy's arms.

"Are you alright?" She asked.

I nodded silently, before switching my gaze to Doron as he slowly banked away from the fighting, before breaking into a fall, due to the pain in his wing.

"Don't watch." Amy said as she forcibly turned my head away.

I briefly sobbed, before my gaze was caught by Ragon and Magar flying along side us. Both Bailey and Tahli shaking their heads, with Bailey pointing up at the clouds. 

"Shit. It got away." Amy said.

It was then that I noticed that most of the fighting had stopped, with the last of the slaves putting down the few surviving soldiers ruthlessly.

"Take us to the ground!" Amy shouted.

Veracon swiftly landed, with Ragon and Magar landing next to him. One by one, the other dragons landed as well, until the skies were once again clear.

One by one, we dismounted.

"Well, only one lost. I'd say we did pretty well." Tahli said confidently as we joined each other.

Amy chuckled.

"Yeah, well, that's still one that won't be able to fight the next fight." She replied.

"What happened with that dragon? Did you kill it?" I asked.

Bailey shook her head.

"No. When we saw Doron going down, we let it go to come to you. It didn't bother to attack us again and just flew away." She replied.

I sighed, and Amy put her hand on my shoulder.

"Don't worry. I'm sure he made it down fine." She said in a comforting voice.

I looked around at the other dragons as they looked down at me.

"Thank you all for what you've done. You all did well. Thank you." I said.

Bailey stepped in front of me and smiled.

"Come on. Let's go find your dragon." She said.

I smiled as she led me towards Magar. I mounted Magar, sitting behind Bailey. By that point Veracon and Ragon were already in the air, with the rest of the dragons following them, except for two smaller ones that stayed behind to wait with the surviving slaves.

"Fly." Bailey said.