261

I paused, taking a moment to watch the forces of nature that saved so many lives slowly retreat back into the trees from which they came, until all that remained were the brave warriors who survived the onslaught, standing scattered amongst the bodies of their slain brothers and sisters, along with many animals that fell during their own charge, with several dragons that fell from the sky scattered throughout. Nearly thirty of the great beasts flew confidently into the fight, but only five had flown back out again. I pondered for a moment, wondering what to say as my mind wandered to a place of fantasy, where war and death were little more than myth.

"Jess?" 

I shook my head as I fluttered my eyes in response to Bailey's voice.

"I'm fine. Just a bit shaken is all." I replied.

She hugged me tight, like a daughter to her mother, before stepping back, and giving me a brief glimpse of happiness with her contagious smile.

"We may have defeated our invaders. But, there are more that will come. It has happened twice now, and will most certainly happen again should we not act." I said to the group.

Tahli grew a confused look.

"So... What do you intend for us to do?" She asked, cocking her eye brow.

I sighed.

"We take our five dragons across the sea in that direction, from which our enemies came from. Noah had told me before his death that the journey could take many months, perhaps a full year to reach the other side. But, there are hundreds, perhaps thousands of small islands dotting the ocean between our land and theirs, providing us with a place to stop and gather our needed rest before continuing on. The ocean will provide us with food along the way. We will collect rain water through what ever tactic we devise, as well as find fresh water throughout some of the larger islands. Once there, the group who fights for nothing more than freedom will be waiting for us. These are the only hope to end the war that nearly led to our own demise, and with the help of five dragons, along with ourselves, we will bring their enemies, and our enemies to their knees once and for all."

For a moment, there was nothing more than silence. Then, Amy spoke.

"But... There is simply no chance of any of us emerging alive from such a fight. We have only five dragons left to fight, and nearly all of them have fallen in battle." She said.

I shook my head.

"They are far larger and more durable. It will certainly take far more to bring one of them down." I replied.

"Is there no chance of eggs being laid before our departure?" Bailey added.

I shook my head.

"The dragons won't lay eggs should they know they won't be present to protect the young. It will not happen again until the threat is removed for ever. For that to happen, we must make this quest, and we must win the war. Not only the battle." I replied.

Just as I finished my sentence, Doron and Ragon took to the sky to join their brother as Magar came to the ground, reuniting with May as she gazed down at me. 

"There is nothing more to discuss. This battle has been won, and our people are safe. We have a duty to end this war before it claims any more innocent lives." I said.

Just as I said this, two warriors on horse back approached. They dismounted their horses and dropped to one knee, bowing their heads.

"My brothers, you may rise."

Slowly, and hesitantly, the two men rose to their feet.

"What are your orders?" One of the two men said.

I smiled.

"You have all risked your lives for your people, and many more of you have not survived this battle. To those of you who have survived, you are free. Free to return to wherever you wish, and live as you please. See to it that those deemed not able to fight are gathered and cared for. The five dragons that still fly will not be seen on this land for many years as they fight our enemy across the sea, but rest assured, they still live. By this time tomorrow, we and our dragons will have vanished into the sunset. The next time you see us, the world will be rid of any and all evil that may have once lived under its fair skies."

The two men bowed, before silently and swiftly mounting their horses, and turning back towards what remained of the army.

I looked up at the three dragons circling around over head.

"By this time tomorrow, we will be soaring over the open ocean. Gather yourselves. You may never see your homeland again, but rest assured, your potential sacrifice will not go without its rewards." I said to the others.