298

Two Days Later 

     The lakes surface was still as could ever be, the reflection of the mountains backed by the white fluffy clouds was certainly a sight to behold for all time. Magar was sleeping in the shade cast by the mountain, with May resting under Magar's right wing. Doron and Veracon were nowhere to be seen at the time, though this was far from unusual for the two behemoths. Bailey was by the water skinning a fish that she'd managed to spear through the still water, while Amy was sharpening her sword with one of her daggers.

"Think you'll need that?" I asked her sarcastically as I walked up and sat down next to her at the waters edge.

She chuckled as the metal between the two blades rubbed together-creating a sharp sound that caused my ears to ring. Her blade shone bright with the suns light, slick and smooth, while her dagger was rough and jagged with its rather careless construction.

"Perhaps. If I end up in a fight on the ground I'll need a sword that can pierce armor." She replied as she stroked her dagger along the swords flat edge.

"That may be true, but we should likely try to keep ourselves in the air." I replied jokingly.

Amy paused, halting her dagger mid stroke.

"You saw Ragon fall from the sky... What makes you think they can't do the same to the others?" Asked Amy.

I sighed, debating the response I would give back and forth in my head.

"We've been away for years since that happened. They've grown quite a bit since then. They aren't impossible to kill, but their increased size and thickened scales will make it much more difficult to land a fatal hit. The risk of death is part of war. We must be willing to die, and have our dragons killed if we are to end this war-but they've grown much larger than the last time they fought. They're more capable than they've ever been. While we could wait for them to grow even larger, I don't intend to live my entire life waiting to end a war that I could easily end right now." I said firmly.

Amy shrugged her shoulders as she resumed stroking her dagger down her sword blade.

"I don't know what I think anymore. Once, there were endless numbers of these creatures. Now, there are only four left alive. If we go flying into a fight without an army at our back, we're far more likely to get killed." She said.

I stood up, still looking out over the still and stunning lake with two dragons asleep at its far end.

"That may be true, but should we fly out alive with a prize, a prize that can prove that we aren't as helpless as we looked when our dragon fell, then we will once again have our army." I replied

"And what would that prize be?" Amy asked as she looked up at me.

"Ships. Lots of ships. If we can destroy a large number of ships and not get killed, that may prove our worth once again." I replied.

Amy again shrugged her shoulders, before tossing down her blades and rising to her feet.

"I guess it's either that, or just fly back and hope that they accept us." She said as she straightened her legs.

I chuckled.

"No, it's to risky. While that remains a valid option, should we be wrong, it could turn ugly rather quick. To quick even for four dragons to protect against." 

Just as I finished my sentence, Doron and Veracon appeared from behind the trees-their massive wings stirring the leaves and pines that made up the lush green wall. Setting down across the lake along side Magar and May, the two gorgeous males folded in their wings and stared across at us as Magar and May propped their heads up and turned them towards us. I locked my eyes with Doron's as they glowed. I could see deep into his mind, and it quickly became obvious that he had already made himself aware of the coming war. I tilted my head to the side slightly, and he responded by promptly looking southward towards the coast line-his eyes narrow and gleaming.

"There's ships to the south. We attack them before they get where we all know they're going." I said as I put my bow over my shoulder.