232

3 Days Later

  The sun had fallen on another day, the air growing cool and brisk with its setting. We had set down for the night, in the hopes of getting a few hours sleep, with our newly grown army set off a mile or so off to our left, resting for the night. The five of us, along with the dragons, had flown slightly further, until we came across a river, which had the soothing sound of its fast moving waters to calm our nerves and ease our tension, hopefully lending us additional sleep. We gathered a few small branches from a few nearby trees, scattered amongst the otherwise empty landscape, with the exception of the thick, long grass that blanketed the ground. I watched as the sun vanished under the horizon, with only faint rays of its once prominent light filling the section of sky that was just abandoned by the all powerful light.

"Beautiful isn't it?" Bailey asked softly, referring to the dull light that remained from the sun.

I nodded.

"Yes. Very much so." I replied.

"These creatures are far more beautiful than any sunset could ever hope to be." Noah said as he watched the dragons sleep just down the river bank.

"Yes, they are. Natures finest creation. Truly majestic beasts. Some say that dragons were once smarter than human kind itself, before they were tame by us." I replied.

Noah just sighed, before looking back down at the roaring fire we had built for the night.

"I never thought I'd ever see a dragon. I wasn't even sure they were real." He said.

I cocked my head to the side in confusion.

"But, you only learned of their existence just recently." I said as I chuckled.

He shook his head.

"That is only partially true. Back where I came from, there are legends of creatures that go by the same name, dragon, and fit similar physical description. But, no proof of their existence has ever been found there. Not until your dragons have been proven to be real." He replied.

I looked at Amy and Tahli in confusion, before looking back to Noah.

"What kind of legends?" I asked.

He shrugged his shoulders.

"Legend may be the wrong choice of word. It was stated that thousands of years ago, before the civil war that tore our world apart even showed itself on the horizon, dragons once flew the skies. Untold numbers of them. But, over many decades, the creatures were hunted to extinction, out competed by my ancestors, and those of everyone currently fighting the war as we speak. But, these were considered little more than fable. No proof of these incredible creatures was ever shown to exist. All that we had to support the supposed dragons was the words of those who came many years before the division of the people, and the war. Only after your dragons showed themselves to be real, did I realise that the fabled dragon was more than just myth." He said while gazing into the fire.

I paused for a moment, unsure of what to say.

"Why did you seem so unsure about what dragons looked like, and what they were if you had grown up with myths of them?" I asked curiously.

He shrugged.

"I didn't think it could be true, so I behaved as though I had no idea as to what a dragon could be, as to not seem like someone with little control over his thoughts." He replied.

I was going to reply to him, but for whatever reason, I decided against it. I instead opted to pull one of the seven books from the bag. There was no question which of the seven I intended to read. I reached in and felt around for a moment, feeling the books until I could be certain that I had my hands on the right one. I mistakenly pulled two other books first. One titled "The first dragon" and the other titled "Taming the beast" which was rather thin compared to the others. After setting the first two books back in place, I pulled the thickest of them out, and flipped it over so I could read the title on the front out loud.

"The Dying of the Dragons." I said.