256

I examined the mass of dust rising, but its source was unclear as it grew larger, rising into the sky. Doron seemed to lack the confusion that had riddled me, seeming to already know what was coming as he turned back towards the trees and began to descend towards them. As he dropped to just above the ground yet again, he sent thousands of soldiers to a burning death under his lethal breath. But, I paid the assault no attention. My curiosity had been fully captivated by the sound of the ground rumbling, coupled with the ever growing dust cloud. 

"What is it?" I asked to myself, just as a familiar screech made its way down from the clouds over head.

I looked up to the sky, partially blinded by the suns harsh light. But no amount of sunlight could keep me from seeing the sight of four dragons diving from above, headlong back into the seemingly lost fight. But, the three of them were not alone. Trailing the three of them were untold numbers of birds of all sizes diving from the ground above as the Magar, May, Veracon and Ragon attacked the soldiers on the ground. I watched in stunned amazement as thousand upon thousands of birds attacked the soldiers from all angles, ripping into their bodies and swarming the masses of men, overwhelming them with little trouble.

"More from the trees!" I faintly heard one soldier shout.

I instinctively looked back towards the trees, in time to see arrows flying out from within them, striking the soldiers who had let their guard down, just as what remained of our army emerged from within the trees and stormed back into the now unorganised army of wounded and fearful soldiers. But, they too were not alone. Only a moment after the first arrows flew, hundreds of animals came charging from within the trees alongside the surviving warriors. Wolves, moose, deer, bison, wild dogs, even snakes ripped through the formation of soldiers, easily clearing their way through them with ease as the few remaining warriors made for the structure in the centre of the chaos. While many more warriors and animals were shot and killed in the first moments of the charge, the masses of natures fury was far to much for the soldiers to handle.

"We've got some company!" Bailey shouted as she flew over us, with May flying close behind her mother.

I felt a strange feeling of happiness, and adrenaline surge through my body, just as Doron banked back towards the shoreline, presumably to deal with the ships that had recently arrived to join the fight. But, this would prove pointless. As we approached the shore, I was shocked to see dozens of ships being capsized, sinking beneath the waves as enormous pods of hundreds, perhaps thousands of whales charge the ships from below, forcing them to the waters icy cold fingertips, before being pulled below, most of their crews being taken with them. I felt a tear of genuine happiness and gratitude drip down my face.

"You called for them." I said softly as I stroked one of Doron's spines.

He purred under my sensitive touch, before returning to the battle, flames falling upon his enemies far below as his newly formed army of natures wrath slaughtered the majority of what remained of the soldiers on the ground, slowly but confidently making their way towards the structure at the centre. I looked around, trying to spot the last remaining dragon fighting for our enemy. But this dragon was not to be seen in any corner of the sky, and its rider, gone with it for the moment.

I switched my attention back to the structure standing prominently in the middle of the ruthless, but very one sided fighting raging on below as birds, bison, wolves and many others ripped into their invaders. Just as the though crossed my mind, the others dropped in beside us. I exchanged brief and tender eye contact with all of my brothers and sisters as we flew along side one another, before turning my undivided attention back to the structure that houses those responsible for the death and torture of so many.

"Kill them all." I uttered under my breath.

Hi All! Just thought I'd let you know that I have 2 new stories available on my profile page. "The Dragons of Lithia" and "The Lost Dragon" are both stories that you will certainly enjoy if you enjoy The Dragons Daughter! And obviously you do if you've made it this far! Enjoy all!