214

"Go! We've got to get in the air!" I screamed as people began panicking and searching for their weapons. 

I went to mount Doron, but he refused to allow me to mount him as he kept his wing up against his body. 

"What?! What the hell is your problem?!" I shouted.

"There's not enough of us to fight now. They're just trying to protect everyone who survived." Amy said.

I hopelessly looked out at the quickly approaching mass of soldiers, this one much larger than the one we had just fought against and defeated. Magar put her wing over May as she cowered under her mother, while Veracon and Ragon came to Doron's side. The three of them clicked at each other, before they each spread their wings out to their sides, touching each others wingtips, creating a shield that spread out wide enough to protect the rest of the dragons and slaves long enough for them to escape. 

"Come on! Let's get out of here!" One man shouted.

"No! We have to fight!" I shouted in reply.

"Jessica listen to me! They outnumber us three-hundred to one at the moment. There's no sense in fighting when we have no chance. We'll return to fight when we have the means to do it. We can survive this. We just have to fight smart." Amy said firmly as she grabbed my shoulder.

I briefly looked back at the three dragons as they breathed fire down on the soldiers running at them. Not long after flames started flying, gunshots and cannon fire started filling my ears. We continued to run as people continued to fall around us from the gun fire, with their screams dulled out by the sounds of the guns and cannons going off behind us. I turned around, looking to Doron, Veracon and Ragon as they continued to breath fire down on the attacking soldiers. Veracon fell back as as he was hit in the leg by cannon fire, getting Doron's attention as he tried to bring his brother back to his feet while Ragon defended the two of them. 

"NO! NO! NO! Please no!" Amy shouted as I held her back.

Veracon managed to briefly get back to his feet as he turned and took to the air, fleeing the fight before he was killed. Ragon followed after a few more blasts of flame, but Doron seemed hesitant to take off and join them. He would periodically look back at Magar as he continued to fight. I made a run to Magar, but she took to the air before I managed to get to her, with Bailey and Tahli on her back.

"Shit! Come on we've got to get out of here!" Amy shouted.

I could see Veracon and Ragon scanning the ground for us as they retreated, but there was no way they would be able to find us in the confusion, so we just re-joined the mass of fleeing slaves as they ran for their lives, many of them falling around us to the relentless gun fire from the rear. I looked over my shoulder instinctively, to see Doron flapping his wings, getting himself into the air. By that point, every other dragon had already flown off. If he missed us, Amy and I were doomed to die.

"Doron! Doron!" I shouted as I waved my hands and jumped, desperately trying to get his attention.

He looked down at me as he approached, and made eye contact with me.

"He see's us! Get close!" I shouted as I pulled Amy close to me.

The two of us stopped mid run and waiting for Doron to get close enough for us to grab on to him, when Amy suddenly cried out in pain and fell to the ground, holding her leg.

"I'm hit! Shit!" 

Panicking, I picked her up and put her over my shoulder while holding onto her with one hand. As Doron approached, he extended his foot down to the point where his claws were dragging along the ground. I blindly jumped for his claw, and some how, I managed to land on it. I threw myself on top of Amy as she moaned in pain to keep her from falling off. I looked down at the carnage below, to see the last of the slaves we had freed being slaughtered by the endless gunfire raining down on them, as they were swarmed by the soldiers from the rear. Several large patches of flame from the dragons heroic efforts dotted the ground, but were barely a dent in the massive size of the somehow unnoticed army of soldiers that managed to sneak up on us.

"Jess, my leg." Amy groaned.

"I know. We'll get you fixed. It doesn't look bad." I replied.

I looked back down at the battle field below once more.

"What the hell have I done." I said under my breath.