299

The sky continued forever, the dragons membranous and thick scaled wings beat against its cool air as they held themselves firmly above the ground below-their glowing eyes searching endlessly for a subject to send to the slaughter. My two innocent and vulnerable children strapped to my chest like a rabid horse strapped to its stable before being put down, though no amount of strapping-no matter how strong-would render me a safe and confident feeling flying into battle with my own children along side me. The clouds grew thicker and thicker with each passing heart beat, masking even the mightiest of creatures as he silently made his way through their cool, damp interior. 

I knew not where our query sat, though I had learnt to trust the instinct and guidance of natures deadliest creation-capable of slaughtering whales much like a man would kill a hand caught fish. The sky was silent for what felt like only eons, though sense would derive that eons had not yet passed us by. Abruptly, and with little warning, Doron folded his wings into his side and subsequently pitched his head down-dropping his enormous body out through the clouds and into the bright and clear skies that supported the clouds below. Below us, was a massive fleet of thousands upon thousands of ships-all with a rather prominent 'J' painted on each ships primary sail.

"Jensen fleet." I said despairingly under my breath as I gripped my bow.

I waved to Bailey as she sat atop the purple Queens back. Magar and May banked off to the right, rising back up into the clouds, whilst the two larger and more capable beasts dove on the ships below. I gave Amy a brief nod. With a slight tap, Veracon spread his wings out to his sides-catching the wind and slowing his decent. Doron did nothing to slow himself however. As he approached the ships below, he reared his head back-before jolting it forwards and spitting black and blood red flames down on dozens of ships as he effortlessly passed them by. As we rose up above the newly formed carnage, Veracon bore down on the ships with his golden flames as black smoke rose into the sky. Cannon fire rang out through the sky, though the projectiles far to heavy and cumbersome to rise to the height of two nearly full grown dragons as the soared over their slain targets. As Doron and Veracon circled around one another, spraying their deadly colored flames down on the ships below in mass, Magar and May dove down from the clouds above-picking off stray ships within the flames that had managed to avoid the larger dragons flames. Magar stretched out her talons and grabbed hold of one of the ships. before carrying the vessel through the wall of smoke and hurling it into the swarm of yet untouched and still fully crewed ships that were scrambling to ready their weapons. The ship flew through the air-crew men falling to the waters below-before colliding with a second. Within only a few seconds, both ships slipped under the waves.

Magar and May filled the burning waters with purple and silver flames, mixed in with bloody red and dazzling white fires from the smallest of the four. Any and all ships that sailed within the gauntlet of black and golden fire was struck down by the smaller pairs more target-able fires. The remaining ships began to scatter as the severity of the situation became more apparent to the sailors, though this would yield little reward. Doron grabbed hold of several ships within his claws, as Veracon did the same. Flying eye to eye, the two ancient creatures hurled their prizes through the air-colliding and shattering to pieces midair-their crewmen being thrown in all directions from hundreds of feet in the air. My children screamed and cried as the dragon swayed and twisted side to side, avoiding harpoons fired at him from the remaining ships below, though none would find their mark. 

Doron and I pulled along side Veracon as he spat shimmering golden flames down on a row of ships below him, though he had become enamored with his task. Four still untouched ships opened fire on the two brothers as they flew along side each other, their harpoons whipping past my head by the narrowest of spaces. I pulled up on Doron's spines, bringing him up as a harpoon flew under him, but Veracon had his sights set on the ships directly below him, and didn't notice the harpoons flying his way. With deadly accuracy, three harpoons ripped through the dragons left wing membrane, causing him to nearly lose control of his body as he struggled to straighten his now torn wing. No blood was spilled however. Three relatively small gashes in the wing opened, rendering the wing far less usable than the other. Amy looked to me for direction, which I promptly gave by pointing back towards the cliffs. Without a heartbeat passing by, Veracon banked away and made back for the cliffs-his wing torn and unsteady. Whilst one had been forced to flee the fight, three dragons was still more than enough to bring what remained of the Jensen fleet to its knees. Purple, black and red flames rained down for many hours, with no mercy being shown as the sea erupted once again in an effortless slaughter.

Before long, the battle had turned from a somewhat fair fight, to a satisfying slaughter-coupled with the screams of desperate men as they burned, bled and drowned. But no mercy would be shown. Flames flew and smoke rose until the sun began to touch the horizon, and the last ship was shattered and sunken by the blackest of flames every to be seen by the eyes of men. As the four dragons soared on the hot winds created by the flames rising from the water below, Doron strafed the surface with his claws-rising to his golden brother once again with a destroyed Jensen ship clutched tightly in his talons as he turned back towards the coastline.