215

I kept staring down at hopeless slaves below, fighting for their lives as we flew away, leaving them behind. Amy clung to my side as her leg bled profusely around me. I couldn't help but feel like the deaths of the slaves were not deaths worth suffering. Anger surged through my body, as I sat there knowing that there wasn't anything I could do to help them. 

"Are you okay?" Amy asked in a shaky voice.

I sighed.

"Yeah. I'm fine. Or at least, I will be." I replied.

I turned my attention to Amy's wound briefly, before something caught my ear. It was a familiar screech from the rear of us. I looked up at the clouds intently, searching for any signs of any of the four dragons diving on us.  Then, I spotted them.

"Dragons! Diving from the rear! Doron!" I shouted.

I could briefly saw Doron's head sway to the left, before he turned to face them, this time with all four of them diving at us from above and behind. I hunched down over Amy, pinning her down to keep her from falling off. I put my head down and shut my eyes as tight as I could. After a moment, I felt a thud and a sudden change in direction as Doron clashed with the attacking dragons mid flight. I opened my eyes for a moment, but all I could see was a blur of dragons fighting each other, mixed with blasts of flame, and the sound of dragons screaming. Magar came to Doron's aid briefly as she latched onto one of the attackers, before falling away with it as Doron continued to fight the other three. Finally Doron managed to level himself out and began to make a run from his pursuers. I looked back. I could see Magar chasing down her lone target as the other three, including the largest and his rider, continued to stay on Doron's tail.

What I would have given in that moment for my bow.

The dragon Magar had been chasing came up from below, spitting fire at Doron's underside. Appropriately, he screeched in pain as the flames engulfed his leg. Only a moment after the flames stopped, the same dragon plowed into Doron's underside, flipping him sideways and temporarily causing him to fall. Amy and I clung to each other, as well as Doron's claw, trying desperately to keep our grip.

"My hands are slipping! My hands are slipping!" Amy screamed frantically as she clamoured for a grip.

I reached for her hand, but I couldn't release my own grip without being blown off. As Doron spread his wings out to level himself, Amy let out a deafening, horrific scream before being swept off of the dragons claw by the fast moving air around her.

"AMY!" I screamed as tears streamed uncontrollably down my face.

After a moment however, Magar dove towards Amy in her free fall, and somehow managed to catch her out of the air. I felt relief flow over me, before it was quickly squished by the realisation that there were still four dragons on us, doing everything they could to shot us from the sky. Doron suddenly folded in his wings and shot towards the ground, possibly in an effort to build up speed to lose his attackers. He levelled out just above the ground, swaying back and forth to avoid the flames. Having read many historical accounts of dragons many times his size being downed by flames, I was somewhat in awe of his ability to dodge the lethal blasts. I watched helplessly as one of the four dragons flanked Doron, cutting him off as he banked to the left. The impact violently threw Doron off of his course, causing me to lose my grip for just a moment, but, that was just enough to throw me off of him, plummeting towards the ground. I felt my heart beating from my chest as I fell for the few seconds it took to reach the ground. Luckily, Doron had gone down low enough that his feet were only just above the ground, so the impact with the thankfully soft terrain below did no serious damage to my body. I stumbled to my feet, doing a mental check of my body to make sure I could still move everything. 

"Legs are working, arms are working. Nothing's broken." I said as I tried to catch my breath.

For a moment, I felt relief. I was free from the twisting and turning of dragons fighting. Then, my eyes went wide, and I panicked. I spun around and looked up to see Doron shaking the last of the four dragons off of him as he ascended to join the others without me. Just as I was about to call his name, probably with no success, I felt three thuds behind me. I hesitated to turn around, knowing what I would most likely see. I slowly turned, to see three of the four dragons standing before me, with the fourth landing behind me shortly after.

My eyes were quickly locked on the unnamed rider as he approached me, with thousands of soldiers approaching us with the few remaining slaves tied up.

"Hello Jessica." He said.

Hi All! Just thought I'd let you know that I have 2 new stories available on my profile page. "The Dragons of Lithia" and "The Lost Dragon" are both stories that you will certainly enjoy if you enjoy The Dragons Daughter! And obviously you do if you've made it this far! Enjoy all!