259

I turned sharply as I jumped to the side, as to avoid the stray shot. I started to catch my breath, but before I could fully recover, I noticed the stray dragon glaring back over my shoulder. Sensing danger, I spun around, to see the dragons rider staring me down with a rifle pointed squarely at my chest, standing perhaps thirty feet away. 

"You will die on this day! Your dragon cannot save you! As for you, you have betrayed your own people! You will pay with your worthless scales!"

Just as he finished the sentence, the masked rider fired a single shot over my head, hitting his former mount in the left eye, causing blood to gush from the now open wound as he thrashed around in pain before collapsing to the ground. I whipped my head back around as Doron spat flames at my attacker, though he was off target. Within a moment, the two of us were fighting hand to hand. The dragons could do little to aid me in my fight, as they were far to large to engage without killing me in the process. I bit into my attackers hand before forcefully ripping two of his fingers from his hand in my teeth, just as he drove his blade into my left leg, just to the side of the bone that ran through it. I screamed in pain before reaching out blindly and grabbing hold of his throat, then forcing him to the ground. The two of us struggled for control for a moment, before I made for the mask. It slide off rather easily, much like a fish down the throat of a sea bird as I tossed the mask to the side, before looking down at my foes face. Familiarity struck me instantly.

"Gordon....?"

He smiled menacingly, as if to mock my stupidity.

"Ah yes! You remember! You should have put me down when you had the chance you worthless whore!" He exclaimed as he spat all over my face.

I glared into his eyes.

"You die now you bastard!" I shouted as I jumped to my feet and began kicking furiously, not paying attention to whether I was scoring hits or not. Just as I swung my foot once again, he grabbed hold of it and pulled me to the ground, before jumping to his feet. He stood over me, staring down at me with a disturbing grin on his face as he raised his blade up above his head, all the while my dragons were chattering back and forth, as if to try and derive a plan for my rescue.

"Your time is up, dragon lady."

I began to bring the blade down on me, but was cut off by his own dragon tackling him to the ground, with blood still pouring from his eye as he once again crashed to the ground, tossing Gordon far off to the side, and far enough away from me for dragon flames to pose no danger to me. 

I looked up to Doron, as he looked back down at me. For a brief second, his eyes went deep black, before returning to their normal, shinning colours.  He slowly turned his head back towards Gordon as he slowly rose to his feet, groaning in pain from the fall as his dragon lay dying behind him. He looked up at Doron and the others, as if to silently beg for his life. But this was futile. Just as he came to his feet, a stream of flames erupted from Doron's throat, engulfing Gordon in only mere seconds. But these flames were far different from any I had seen before. Doron's flame was deep, midnight black, with red and orange dotted throughout. This was theorised for years that dragons flames would turn to the colour of their scales when they reached their prime, whenever that may be, but it was never documented, and thus assumed to be falsified in an attempt to glorify the species. Doron slowly shut his jaws as Gordon collapsed to the ground, rolling around in an attempt to put out the flames, but this proved useless as Magar shot her own flames at the dying man, followed by May, Veracon, and Ragon alike. May's flames were bright red, Veracon has flames that resembled that of melted gold and clouds, Ragon's flames had turned to a vibrant shade of green with bronze mixed throughout, and Magar's flame was a fabulous display of bright purple, with shimmering silver streaming from the back of her throat as her otherwise purple flames met the others as they put the lone dragon rider to death once and for all. As Gordon's body cooked, I slowly approached the newly changed dragons. I could see the change in their eyes. What caused it, we still do not know. The history of their species has largely been lost to us, with only the war records remaining.

"I didn't think it was true. You truly do change when the time is right." I said as a smile leapt across my face.

Doron's face changed suddenly, before turning his head towards the shoreline and letting his dark black flames fly through the air, before raining down on the few ships that remained. His flames reached much farther than they previously could, and their destructive power was so great that the mere sparks of his fire punched through the ships that found themselves in its path. 

I dropped to the ground and rolled over on my back as the five dragons took to the sky once again, spraying their powerful, coloured flames down on the enemy below, as their army of nature put the last of the soldiers to death, with several attempting to flee into the trees.. I nearly jumped at the feeling of Amy's hand on my shoulder.

"I didn't think that was a real thing... It always seemed to be made up." She said. 

I chuckled as the five of them circled around over head.

"Neither did I. The fact that the two smaller ones went through it at the same time must mean... Something..." I said.

Hi All! Just thought I'd let you know that I have 2 new stories available on my profile page. "The Dragons of Lithia" and "The Lost Dragon" are both stories that you will certainly enjoy if you enjoy The Dragons Daughter! And obviously you do if you've made it this far! Enjoy all!