289

2 Days Later

The camp village was quiet, with only the sounds of a light breeze flowing through the grass and trees in the distance. James and Jamie were both asleep in their cribs, though my mind was racing at to rapid a pace for my eyes to remain shut. I stood up, and slid my holster with my long sword onto my waste on the off chance that I would need it, before I silently left the tent and looked up at the millions upon millions of stars that lit the sky, without the moon anywhere in sight. I walked to the edge of the steep hill face and looked down at the distant village below, but something was wrong. I couldn't sense what it was, but something was not right. I had an uneasy feeling on this night, though I could not figure out why. I looked down at the village below, drawn to keep my eyes on it, but, I couldn't see anything that was out of the ordinary. Then, I heard a child scream.

"Tahli! Amy! Bailey!" Wake the fuck up!" I screamed as I made for my horse.

The three of them scrambled from their quarters, all three of them visibly confused and startled, all while James and Jamie cried from within my quarters.

"What? What's happening?!" Amy exclaimed in panic.

"Somethings wrong in the village. I don't know what, but somethings wrong. Bailey, you stay here. Amy and Tahli with me." I exclaimed.

"Wait! I want to fight for once!" Bailey shouted as Amy and Tahli ran for their horses.

We all paused in place, Amy looking up at me.

"Jessica let her go. I'll stay back with your children." Sir Ivan said as he came running from his quarters.

I debated for a moment, before giving him the nod, then motioning for Bailey to mount her own horse and follow the three of us down into the village.

"Guards, you all remain her and defend Sir Ivan with your lives. If either of my children get hurt, i'll have your heads!" I screamed as my horse started down the hill. 

As the four of us made for the village, Doron flew just over head, letting out a bellowing roar that must have woken the village as he flew over head.

"He knows somethings wrong! He's woken the village!" I shouted as we reached the outermost section of the camp.

Doron continued to fly overhead, roaring and screeching wildly as people began scrambling from their tents-many of them screaming and crying as they frantically ran about. I glanced around, searching for whatever was responsible for my peoples torment. Through the darkness, I could see a Canster soldier being lit up by the torch light. I charged up behind the soldier and drew my sword, striking the man from his horse as I rode past.

"They stole my daughter!" One woman shouted out of my view.

"My Queen! They have my son!" One man pleaded as he ran up beside me.

I kicked my horse to start forward again, as Doron breathed fire up at the sky in order to light the camp enough for us to see what was happening. I nearly froze when a soldier came at me on horse back, but Tahli struck him down as she rode past. I jumped from my horse and drove my sword into the back of another soldier, who was wrestling a young girl back towards his horse. Just as I struck the man down, spilling his blood onto the grass, three more soldiers came running from the girls tent. One of them had the dead body of the girls mother, her organs dangling from an open gash in her gut. Amy and Bailey jumped from their horses and charged at the three men, with my at their side. Tahli easily slit the throat of the first man, while I gutted the second by running my sword up through his thin armor-slicing his gut open. Bailey swung her sword down on the third mans leg, hacking it clean off before thrusting her sword through the soldiers face. Without exchanging any words, the three of us continued through the camp, slaying soldiers as we tripped over our own dead, before finally, in the dark of night, the fighting suddenly came to an abrupt end.

"What the hell? What was that?!" Amy shouted as she slid her sword back into her holster.

I shook my head as blood dripped down my face from the many men I had killed.

"I-I don't know. I couldn't have been an actual attack. To few men. An entire army wouldn't have gotten past our guards, and they wouldn't retreat so easily." I replied.

"Jessica!" Tahli shouted as she ran up behind me.

I spun around, still trying to catch my breath.

"They took dozens upon dozens of children. And they killed many more." She said as she slid her sword back into her holster.