326

The village was hectic, with a massive celebration happening as a result of the battle being won. Bailey and I sat in the grass outside our tents, with James and Jamie asleep on either side of me, and the three dragons sleeping behind us. The sun was slowly setting, though there was still daylight left.

"We did it Jessica. We saved the world." Bailey said.

I chuckled.

"Not yet. The armies may be largely destroyed, but their leaders are still alive. As long as they live, the threat looms, however unlikely to strike again." I replied.

"Well then, let's go get them before that happens." Bailey replied.

"That's the plan. Tonight I'm going to head up the coast and hopefully beat them before they get to the rendezvous point. I'll slaughter them all then make back for home." I said.

Bailey grew a confused look.

"What about me?" She asked.

I sighed.

"You've done things for me I never thought anyone would ever be able to do after my parents and my sister died. In part I owe you my life. You've fought beside me through three wars, you've saved my life several times, and you've now ended the last war along side me. I can't, and won't ask anything more of you apart from one last request." I said, before pausing.

I then continued.

"Bailey, I don't want you to come with me this time. I want you to take my children, as well as Magar and May home. Tonight. Take all you can and fly home. Just stay near the coast line, and I'll meet up with you were I get back. You'll head home tonight, and I'll head up the coast. I'll turn back and head for home once the job is done." I said.

Bailey opened her mouth to presumably argue, but I stopped her.

"No Bailey. I'm not negotiating. I won't have you're life put at risk again. I'm placing my children's lives in your hands. Please get them home safely."

A tear dripped down her face, before she leaned over to hug me, then stood up. I picked up my children and made my way back over towards my tent, before I heard a little voice behind me. I turned around to see a small family of people, two parents, a little girl, and a little boy standing there.

"Hello, is everything alright?" I asked.

The mother prompted the two children to walk forwards, which they both did nervously. I smiled as they approach.

"Hi there! What can I do for you?" I asked, Bailey now standing next to me.

The little girl spoke up first.

"My daddy fought with you, he says thank you for helping him protect us." She said.

Then the little boy stepped forward.

"We made you these." He said as he held out two small, dragon shaped objects, stuffed and made of cloth.

I smiled, as I handed one of them to Bailey.

"I love it. Thank you for these. I'll always keep it close to me." I said.

Then the father stepped forward, reaching out to shake my hand.

"It was an honor to fight with you my Queen." He said.

"The same to you Sir. Sadly, tonight will be our last night. My colleague will be heading back across the sea with my children and two of the three dragons, while I take the third up the coast to ensure that this will never happen to you again. I hope you and your people all hold on to your bright futures. Thank you for your service." I said.

He bowed, before he and his family turned and started back down the hill. 

I turned to Bailey.

"It's time to go." I said.

Magar seemed to know what was going on, as she and May made there way over to us. Doron was slower to realize, but he quickly joined us as well. Bailey and I hugged for several minutes, both of us crying as the three dragons hovered over us.

"Take care of my babies, and please take care of yourself." I said into Bailey's shoulder.

"But what am I supposed to do if something happens? I've never had to do things on my own like this before." She said.

I chuckled.

"Don't worry. Magar and May will protect you." I replied.

I knelt down and hugged James and Jamie tighter than I've ever hugged anyone before, before forcing myself to set them back down.

Bailey stepped back from me and to James' and Jamie's hands, then turned to Magar. Doron nuzzled his head under her lower jaw, purring and rubbing up against her. He then turned his attention to May. Lowering his head down to her, he gently taped his snout against hers, simulating a kiss, then backed away and looked down at the four of us. Bailey and I hugged one last time before she took my children up onto Magar's back, fastening them to the ropes attached to her spines in order to insure they wouldn't fall from her back mid flight.

"Take care of yourself kid! I'll see you soon! You guys be good for Bailey!" I shouted up to them. 

Bailey blew me a kiss, before Magar turned and leaped off the cliff, then gliding out over the now moonlit ocean with May right by her side. I watched the two dragons soar for what felt like forever, until the horizon over took them. And just like that, they were gone. I don't know how long I stood there and watched them fly out, but it sure felt like an eternity. Whipping a tear away from my eye, I turned to Doron, his glowing eyes beating down on me, an amazing contrast to the dazzling display of stars surrounding us.

"It's time to go. Let's finish this." I said.

I mounted my dragon, his spines firm and sharp as I grabbed hold of them. I looked down at the village one last time as Doron let out a mighty roar, before lifting into the air and diving down to just above the water, overlooked by the tops of the cliffs.

Hey all, I just started a new story called " The Dragon and the Mustang!" Be sure to check it out as well as my other two stories " The Dragons of Lithia, and The Lost Dragon"! Enjoy!