295

Several days had gone by since our return to the camp, with the crushing defeat we had suffered had not halted its quest to burn a hole deep into the hearts of every man woman and child-the loss of a mighty dragon and its proud and skilled rider struck fear and a lack of trust into those who swore to follow me. While the remaining four dragons had managed to return alive, two of them were seriously wounded from the fight. Veracon had a ten foot long gash in his right wing near the end, though the overall size of the wing rendered the gash largely un-effective on his flying.

"He's still able to fly. He's lucky that he didn't get hit more than twice or he'd be grounded." I said to Amy as I walked up beside her-both of us watching Veracon struggling to beat his wings as Doron circled around him.

"I didn't even notice the membrane of his wing take any damage during the fighting. He must have been hit by one of the harpoons that neither of us saw." I added as I stopped beside her-looking out over the open ocean that stretched out to the horizon.

Amy sighed and looked down as Veracon struggled to maintain is balance in the air, his injured wing making it difficult for him to fly.

"Did you see the blood?" She asked hesitantly.

I nodded.

"Sprayed out onto the cliff before it was destroyed by the impact. Looked like a small lakes worth." I replied.

"Is there any chance he could have survived?" Amy asked.

I scoffed with a chuckle.

"He was hit at the base of the throat, and enough blood from to paint that cliff red spewed out. That dragon is long dead, and it won't be coming back." I replied, though I wished my response was different.

"And Tahli?" Amy asked nervously.

"I highly doubt she'd survive that kind of fall, but if it would leave your mind at ease I'll fly back and search the area. You can't fly your dragon that far due to his injuries, and the other two are to vulnerable to risk in such a needless mission. One will be enough." I said firmly.

Amy gave me a look that said nothing other than her level of disagreement and protest. I returned with a firm look of power and confidence, making my intentions clearer than the sunlit sky.

"I'll fly back and search the area. If I get killed, the it was meant to be. They have no reason to still be in the area. They brought one down and won't be expecting us to return. Doron and I will fly by midday." I said firmly as I straightened my short sword and adjusted my bow over my shoulder.

Amy shrugged her shoulders as Veracon passed in front of us with Doron close behind-the two dragons calling back and forth to each other. I watched as Veracon, much smaller than his brother, struggled to keep his torn wing stable, whilst Doron confidently flapped his deep black and blood red wings below his golden sibling.

"Just be careful. We can't afford any more." Amy said despairingly.

Just as I was about to speak a response, Magar and May passed over head-their bright purple and deep glossy red wings glistening under the light of the sun. The two joined in the flying along side Doron and Veracon, the four of them presenting a brilliant display of colors as their translucent wings partially blocked out the powerful sun with each pass in front of Amy and I.

"I'm going to be off now. I'd prefer to be back there before nightfall." I said as I stepped forward towards the cliffs edge.

I whistled swiftly, shielding my eyes from the sun as I looked up at the sky. One of the four great beasts folded in his massive wings and dove down towards the cliffs, spreading them once again before swooping over and promptly landing at our backs. I briefly looked to Amy, before making for my dragon and taking my place atop his back.

"I'll be back, don't be afraid." I shouted before tugging on Doron's spines-prompting him to take off and retake his rightful place among the fluffy clouds.