258

Veracon caught up to the fleeing dragon with little trouble, and grabbed hold of its tail in his jaws before pulling it back into the open. The young dragon turned to face Veracon, snapping his jaws at him and spitting flames at the golden dragon, but yielding no fatal strikes. Veracon gave a powerful roar, before charging at his foe, just as he took off in an attempt to escape.

"Get back!" Amy shouted as she pulled me backwards, towards the others.

Veracon once again grabbed the dragons tail, pulling it from the sky and engaging in what seemed to be a clawing match between the two of them. Neither dragon could get a fatal blast of flame on the other as they became tangled together, trying to rip the other apart. While Veracon dwarfed the other dragon, his foe was far nimbler, a trait which only May could use to her advantage.

The two dragons repeatedly locked their teeth into one another, but the young dragons weaponry simple wasn't powerful enough to fatal wound Veracon, unless the strike was to a vital area like the throat. This made the fight very one sided, as Veracon held his neck high above the reach of the other dragons grasp. Twice the young dragon attempted to regain the sky, and twice he failed, being pulled back to the ground by the golden dragons mighty grip. The others seemed to sense that Veracon could handle himself, and appeared to be amused by watching the massive creature toy with his much smaller combatant. Veracon was briefly thrown to the ground by a blast of flame that overtook his head, causing him to shriek in pain. But, before the young dragon could deliver a final, lethal blow, Ragon pulled the young dragon back to the ground, before pinning him to the ground under his claw as Veracon returned to his feet. The two of them could have ended the fighting just as they were, but neither went for the kill. Instead, the two of them looked to Doron, as if to ask for acceptance and permission to make the kill. While nothing was said between the three of them, it was clear that the only dragon to kill another would be Doron himself, as he crept forward and lowered his head down to the young dragon. The poor creature was riddled with his own blood, as well as several severe burn marks, all the while two much larger versions of himself had him pinned to the ground, with a third, black as night, approaching to end his life. Veracon and Ragon backed away, releasing their grip, just as Doron locked his teeth slowly around the young dragons neck.

"Wait!" I shouted as I lunged forward.

The three of them looked down at me in confusion as I ran towards them. I stopped just in front of Doron as he set the young dragon back down, sensing my intentions.

I slowly approached the wounded creature, setting my bow down in an attempt to show that I meant him no harm.

"Don't be afraid young one." I said as I slowly walked closer.

"This isn't your fault. You were made to do what you've done. It isn't your fault. You don't know what it's like to be loved." I said in a soothing voice, trying to keep the dragon calm.

I slowly inched my way towards the terrified young dragon, my hand held out in front of me the entire time, before finally, my hand came to rest on the dragons bloody snout.

"That's it. You don't need to be scared. They will not harm you anymore." I said as a tear crept down my face.

The tender moment between us seemed to last only a moment however, because just as it began, a gunshot went off behind me, striking the ground just to my left, nearly taking my foot off.