254

The two dragons flew confidently back into the fight, with May staying above Doron, as to avoid being shot down from the ground. I clenched my bow so tightly in my hand that I thought as though it would snap, all the while revenge was running thick through my blood. I kept my eyes open for the remaining three dragons, but all I saw above was the partially clear sky, and the war below. Seeing so many more warriors slaughtered before even coming close to the front lines was a crushing feeling, and it was becoming more and more obvious that our defeat was inevitable.

Doron and May both dove on the soldiers below, spraying them with yet another volley of deadly flames as they passed over head, before pitching up and retreating to the sky, out of reach of their weapons. I had noticed more ships approaching from the north, but by that time it was obvious that the battle had long since been lost. Far below, I could see the few warriors who had survived to that point had turned back and started to retreat back to the trees, none of them getting close enough to engage in hand to hand combat. While the soldiers had suffered numerous casualties, those that we lost were far more numerous. I switched my gaze back to the reforming lines of soldiers, and I watched as they started advancing towards the trees, all the while spraying the trees with gunfire, and cutting down most of the retreating warriors.

"We've got to save who we can. Attack." I said with defeat in my voice.

Doron and May dropped to just above ground level, and sprayed the ground with their flames after they had come between the warriors and the soldiers, creating a temporary wall of flames between the two armies. But, this did little to halt the gunfire, which continued to kill untold thousands on our side. By now the ships that were approaching from the north had become more numerous, but I had no intentions of attacking them. We stood little chance of getting away with our lives. 

I turned my attention towards the large structure in the middle of the massive army, and debated whether attacking and burning it to the ground would be worth the lives of two more dragons, and the grief those deaths would surely cause. Ultimately, I decided against it. I had figured that we wouldn't even get close enough to attack before being shot from the sky. Doron seemed to sense our near defeat, but his response was not one that seemed normal. He emitted a strange sound that seemed to carry for miles in all directions. It was a sound I had never heard a dragon, or any living creature or otherwise ever make before. It sounded almost like an otherworldly scream, but in a commanding tone that had a sense of control and demand to it, whilst being mixed in the helplessness and desperation. It sent a firm shiver down my shaken spine, and I had a strange feeling that this call was no mere battle cry. But, I tried to pay it no attention. I turned my attention back to the sky around me. Having lost the battle, I was determined to bring down their three dragons, regardless of the cost.

"Find them. Find the bastards." I said, my teeth grinding together with anger.