276

4 Days Later

I had disobeyed Sir Ivan's request to remain behind, as did Amy, Tahli and Bailey. I had left my children with one of the other mothers in the camp, before riding off with the rest of the men within the camp. After nearly a days ride, I could sense the tension in the air growing with every passing second. Then, around midday, I heard a series of war horns go off near the front of the formation, of which we were not far behind.

"Marvin's! Prepare for battle!" One of the commanders shouted. 

I tried to look over the soldiers blocking my view, but I was much to short to see over the much larger men riding in front of me.

"Here it comes! Brace yourselves!"

Within seconds of that order being shouted, the sound of gunfire filled my ears, as horses and men began to fall all around me. I ducked my head down in an attempt to avoid being shot to death, but I was but one of many targets. The horse in front of me was shot and killed, nearly taking my horse down as he jumped over his fallen comrade, still charging at the enemy wall that we faced. I looked down at the ground, and noticed that we were now riding over the dead bodies of the slain Canster soldiers, ambushed from the rear. The Canster's were wearing bright yellow armor, while I could now see that the Marvin's were dressed in blood red Armor. I stretched my head up to try and get a better view.

"Keep your head down!" One man riding next to me shouted, only a second before being shot from his horse.

We were still to far out for our arrows to reach, but our gunners had opened fire on the enemy line standing in front of us. Cannon fire had started as well, sending columns of dirt up in the air, occasionally with blood and the screams of men going with it.

"We're within range! Archers! Open fire!"

I was eager to start the fighting, so I began shooting my arrows up at the sky, hoping that they would strike their mark as they came down. I could now see the men reloading their weapons in the distance, still firing lethal volleys our way. I briefly looked over at Bailey as she confidently fired an arrow up at the sky, before looking over at me and giving me a friendly nod as the man beside her had his head blown off by a gun shot. 

But, just as I drew my bow once again, I heard a loud roar come from above that got the attention of everyone still alive, followed by the heavy flapping sound of enormous wings beating down on the air.