248

The Next Day

The day had been mostly uneventful, with May briefly flying off, only to return part of a deer in her jaws, and Noah sitting atop her back with a rather disgusted look draped across his face. The tension in the air was thick, running between us all as we knew we were approaching our enemy, which would surely result in the deaths of untold numbers of people. I had yet to lose the pain in my stomach, but I knew of no remedy to relieve myself. 

It was around midday. The sun was largely blocked out by a thick cover of white, fluffy clouds, coupled with a warm wind from the south that graced my skin. I tried to enjoy the comfortable weather, but the reality of what we were flying into took away most of any enjoyment that I would otherwise feel. I could sense the stress flowing through Doron's thick scales, but I could also sense his determination, and his emotion as he suddenly snapped his head slightly off to the right, fixated on that direction. 

I squinted, searching for any sign of life. First, all I could see was the pale blue ocean that faded off into the horizon. Then, tiny black dots that covered the water began to appear, followed closely by large masses on the shore. Whilst the dragons above had clouds for cover, the army on the ground were shielded by a thick spread of trees that spread for several miles, planted firmly between us, and the shore line, with perhaps a mile between the edge of the treeline, our enemies. The masses were enormous, stretching for miles out in front of the shore line. From the edge of the treeline to the shoreline was perhaps fifteen miles, and it seemed as though only a small part of that was barren, with the rest being taken up by masses of soldiers. 

"Down." 

On command, Doron pitched down and dove towards the ground, with the others close behind as we went to cut off our trailing army before they got any closer. Doron made an effort to remain largely silent as to not get the attention of his flying foe as he landed, with the others circling around over head. Doron tilted his head down as I came to stand at the base of his head.

"My Brothers and sisters! On this day, much like many years ago, a great battle will take place. For the sake of your families, and the future of our people, today, we fight! With my dragon, and the others like him, we will rain death down on our foes from above, whilst the many brave men and women standing before me now, with horses and spear tip at arms will charge into the fight, ensuring that every last soldiers who dare oppose the dragons flame be slain! Just beyond those trees, lay a deadly wall of weapons that far exceed the lethal potential of our own, and rest assured many of you will fall to them before even getting close. But, for those of you who survived this brutal fight, know that you will enjoy a life of freedom, and tranquillity! As for those of you who will not survive this battle, know that you will never be forgotten, and your sacrifice will always be respected!" I shouted.

War cries erupted from the endless mob of people. Horse whines, and men and women whistling in support as their horses reared up on their hind legs, before the mob took off into a sprint towards the trees, all the while chanting war cries and swinging their bows above their heads. I returned to my place on Doron's back at the base of his neck, as the dragon spread his wings and returned to the sky, with his brothers, his mate, and his daughter close by his side.