320

The Next Day

The sun was slowly rising into the sky, lighting up the water of the vast ocean at our backs as I made my way to the drop on the hill of which my tent sat atop. I sat in the grass with my legs crossed, my children still asleep in the tent. Magar and Doron were flying out past the cliffs over the water, grappling with each other as they rose and dove, frolicking with each other out in the open air. May was sleeping next to me about ten feet away, her head tucked under her wing as her tail wrapped around around her entire body, her chest expanding as she filled her lungs with air, then deflating as she exhaled.

"Jess?"

I turned around as Bailey came to meet me. She brushed her hair out of her face and over her shoulder as she sat down next to me and pulled her knees almost to her chest, then wrapped her arms around them to hold herself up.

"You're up early." I said.

She sighed.

"Yeah, I had a tough time sleeping last night." She replied.

"You okay?"

She nodded.

"I'm just anxious. Any day now we'll be in the fight of our lives. It'll be harder than any other fight we've ever fought, and the odds against us are much higher than they've ever been. I'm just stressed out." She replied as she looked down at the grass, running her fingers through the grass.

I put my arm over her shoulder.

"We've won every battle we've fought thus far. We'll win this one too." I replied.

"Have we? Have we really? If I recall, we've fought several battles in which we were defeated, and suffered some rather heavy losses." She replied as she looked to May, still sleeping in the grass.

I shrugged my shoulders, before pulling my arm back to my side.

"Okay, fair point. But, that doesn't mean we won't win this one." I said.

"Yeah, it doesn't mean we will either." She replied.

I shook my head.

"Trust me, just stick by me and you'll be fine." I said as I patted her on the shoulder.

She half grinned, before looking up to the sky in the direction of the cliffs. Magar came down and latched onto the side of the cliff with her claws, resting her head on the ground as Bailey stood up and made her way over to her.

"Hey you, early morning ride?" Bailey said as she patted Magar on her lower jaw, before grabbing hold of Magar's spikes sticking out the side of her neck and climbing to her mounted position at the base of Magar's neck.

"Enjoy you're time Jessica, and enjoy your dragon as well. Both may soon be gone." She said before Magar let go of the cliffs edge and spread her wings, gliding back out over the ocean with Bailey clinging to her back. 

May propped her head up and panned it around, before locking eyes with me. She purred before jumping to her feet and making her way over to the cliffs edge, and diving off, then spreading her wings and making her way out to join her parents. I watched the three dragons circle around each other for hours and hours, all the way out to the mid day. James and Jamie had both long since woken, and had both sat down with me to watch the three dragons soaring out over the open ocean. We'd sat there for quite some time, before a male voice came from behind me, clearly in panic.

"My Queen! My Queen! Our enemy has been sighted on the horizon!"