322

The sky was silent, but for the slightest wisp of the wind whipping through my hair. May and Magar were gliding on either side of Doron and I. Magar and Bailey on the right, May on the left. We were perched high above the soldiers below, and had a clear view of what would soon become a bloody battle field. The sky was now bright, with clouds dotting its otherwise blue mass. I glanced down at the soldiers below, looking over their setup. Foot soldiers in three groups-one on either side, and one backing the cavalry, who were prepared to charge. Bringing up the rear of the battle group were the catapults. Loaded with boulders, smothered in different oils and other substances that would light them aflame before being hurled through the air at our enemies. We paced back and forth, watching the horizon for signs of our enemies. 

"There they are!" I shouted as I pointed in the direction of the black mass slowly approaching.

May banked away and dove for the ground, which was the predetermined signal to send the cavalry in. Bailey gave me a brief nod as she held her bow above her head, before Magar banked down after May. I watched the cavalry break into a charge as the catapults began to light up, waiting for the command to fire. Doron banked after the others, before the three dragons leveled out just above the charging cavalry. After a moment, the catapults began hurling their burning projectiles towards the now charging army facing us, the boulders flying past the dragons wings as we closed the gap between us and our enemy. The wall of enemy soldiers suddenly came to a grinding halt, before lighting up with gunfire. I looked down at the cavalry below, watching as they rapidly began to fall by the dozens, returning fire with their bows. The cavalry were cut down, one after another with every flash from the wall of guns. The grass quickly became blood soaked and visibly slippery as more and more shots ripped through the bodies of men and horses.

"Come on! Get in their!" I shouted at Doron, wanting him to close the distance between us and the wall of guns.

Cannons opened fire on the cavalry got closer, cutting even more of them down. Just as the cannons opened fire though, May got within range and let loose with a rain of gorgeously colored flames, doing only minimal damage due to her small size. Finally, Doron was close enough to use his own fire, and he did so with great please. The screams of the soldiers being cooked alive by the three dragons was ear shattering, yet pleasing at the same time. I looked over the side of the dragon as we all pulled up to dive for another pass, and the sight was disturbingly breath taking. Explosions and gun fire ripping through the charging cavalry, mixed with hundreds upon hundreds of flaming boulders, finished off with several long, colorful columns of dragon fire had made short work of the once peaceful and lush landscape, turning it into a blood bath.

"Back! Go!" I ordered.

Doron dove down for another pass, but banked harshly to avoid the first of many harpoons fired up at us. I looked down in the direction the harpoon had come from. My heart sank when I saw dozens upon dozens of weapons trained up at the sky, ready to strike down another dragon.

"Hit them!" I screamed.

Doron swiftly folded in his wings and dove on the harpoon launchers, taking out several of them with ease before turning away to throw off their aim. Magar and May both made their own passes, destroying several more of the weapons before making short but effective strafes over the army of soldiers. Shots flew up at us from below, but the dragons scales were far to thick to be penetrated by the petty weaponry. 

The cavalry finally made contact with the wall of guns, many of them cutting right through dozens of soldiers before being shot and killed. By that point however, more than half of them had been cut down before even reaching the enemy. While the enemy soldiers numbers were steadily getting smaller and smaller by the minute, it still wasn't fast enough.

"Holy shit! Watch out!" I screamed as four harpoons came flying towards Doron from below. 

He rolled and banked and looped to avoid the lethal harpoons, before spitting fire down on the soldiers that found themselves in front of him. The strafing continued for several minutes as the cavalry continued to fight hand to hand with the enemy below, before slowly, one by one, the few horsemen who had yet to be slaughtered turned and began to retreat back towards the foot soldiers and catapults. 

"Shit." I muttered under my breath.

"Back! Go! We've got to cover them!" I shouted as I pointed to the now retreating cavalry.

The losses had now become far more obvious. During the initial charge, the ground had been covered by men on horseback, leaving the ground itself impossible to see. Now, the cavalry were little more than ants dotted about on the green and red grass, with their slain comrades strewn about like leaves at a trees base.