323

Magar and May put up a wall of flames as the few remaining cavalry retreated behind the shield wall of foot soldiers, the enemy forces now charging for the shield wall. Doron and I dove on the charging infantry and strafed the soldiers several times, killing countless men and horses while May and Magar stuck with the retreating cavalry. For a moment, the wall of flames halted the enemy advance. But, it would not last long. Before long the flames had dulled enough for the soldiers to break through and continue the charge. Gun fire rang out through the air as the enemy charged at our men. They were falling right into our trap. The shield wall locked their shields together in an attempt to block out the shots, which surprisingly, worked rather well.

"Keep laying down fire on them, give our infantry cover to attack from the side!" I shouted to Doron as he circled around over the battle.

The advancing infantry had halted a fair distance away from the shield wall, out of range of any spears or arrows. The only weapons we had that were able to reach them at where they'd stopped, were the catapults. Crucially, they had stopped to far back for the infantry posted to either side of the battlefield were unable to trap them in. We'd lost the advantage. But perhaps even worse, they had come with big weapons of their own, hundreds of cannons. 

"Take out those cannon mounts before they hit our catapults!" I shouted to Bailey as she and Magar pulled up alongside Doron and I.

She nodded, before Magar banked away and dove on several cannons perched just below us. Magar's dazzling silver wings stretched out to slow her decent as she spat shimmering purple and silver flames down on the cannons below, narrowly dodging a harpoon that nearly struck the dragon in the chest. As Magar pulled up to go for another strike, the cannons opened fire. While the shields dawned by our infantry were strong enough to stop gun shots, cannon fire was much to powerful, and the shield wall quickly buckled. Catapult crews returned fire, but several of the catapults were blow apart by the cannon fire. Seemingly, the only advantage we had was that of dragon fire.

"Signal the remaining infantry to attack! Our primary infantry stands no chance on their own!" I shouted to Bailey.

Bailey nodded as Magar banked away again, this time flying over the hidden infantry and giving the signal to attack. All at once, the trees and hills were suddenly flooded with infantry, charging at the wall of guns staring down our shield wall. With their attention now divided, the enemy soldiers panicked, and their forces divided as they all turned in different directions to engage their foes. All at once, the two armies collided as the three sets of infantry charged, and got tangled in with the enemy soldiers. The scene was chaotic beyond belief. Men shooting, stabbing, strangling and slitting each others throats. Cannon fire continued to ring out, firing on our catapults primarily.

Magar and May came up on either side of Doron, the three dragons flying wingtip to wingtip as they strafed the enemy soldiers. Hundreds of thousands of men burning alive on the battlefield, while thousands more struck down by gun and cannon fire. It was endless. It seemed that with every man soldier we killed, a thousand more replaced him. The three dragons fought the entire day, their wings surely sore from constant beating and folding, but they kept going. I had long since run dry of arrows as the sun began to crest and began dipping back towards the horizon. As Doron pulled up from another pass, I caught a glimpse of a long line of harpoon launchers training on us from deeper within the enemy formation. I waved to Bailey, then pointed down at the new targets. She gave me a thumbs up and fell into formation with Doron and I, May next to her. We rapidly closed on the harpoon launchers, when suddenly, every one of them launched, sending hundreds of lethal harpoons up towards us.