273

2 Days Later

The sun began rising over the endless ocean that backed the cliffs where five dragons once sat, accompanied by the sound of sea birds soaring out to sea for their morning fishing trip. I could see the suns light shinning through the tent that we had been placed in, on the outskirts of one of the small villages that the freedom followers had created for their women and children. I wandered out and took a deep breath of fresh air, with Jamie and James in my arms, both still sleeping soundly.

"Beautiful, Isn't it."

I turned, startled, to see Ivan walking up behind me with a gun thrown over his shoulder. 

"Yes. It is very stunning." I replied as I looked back out over the grass and out to see.

"This place was once all this way. But then, well, then came the war. The war ripped apart what was once a great society, splitting it up into ten very different groups of individuals, all fighting for needless control. The origins of the war are lost to us now. All we know is that we're still fighting it. Many years ago, one of the ten groups sailed to your land, and was defeated by your hand. Then, the Rusino's made the same mistake. Now, only seven remain. Ourselves, and Seven others. The Bland's, the Trevaro's, Canster's, Hinger's, Marvin's, Polomoro's, and Jensen's. Before your arrival, we stood little hope of defeating the seven groups. Our best bet was to allow them to kill each other, and try with all we had to defeat what was left. Now, with the arrival of these creatures who you seem to control, one of two things may happen." He said before pausing.

I looked to him, expecting to hear him finish his sentence.

"And what are those two possibilities?" I asked.

He sighed.

"Well, either we bring all of our foes to their knees with the help of your dragons, or the seven that remain form one, monstrous army, and whip us out once and for all." He replied.

I cocked my head to the side.

"I like the first one better." I said.

The two of us stood shoulder to shoulder for several minutes, before suddenly, a loud horn that carried across the ocean came from behind us-breaking the silence.

"What the hell is that?!" I asked in confusion.

"War horns. Soldiers spotted, closing on us. Leave your children with one of our women. They will be cared for if you wish to fight." Ivan said as he turned and took off as men began scrambling to their horses.

I nearly fell to the ground when I collided with Tahli as she, Amy and Bailey came scrambling from the tent, just as three women came running to take Jamie and James as Ivan directed them.

"What the hell is happening?!" Amy asked nervously as the three women ducked into the tent with Jamie and James.

"I don't know. We're under attack from someone." I replied.

"Canster soldiers miss! Scouts say it's around two thousand. Shouldn't be to difficult to make 'em eat dirt!" One man shouted as he rode past on his horse.

"Here, you'll need these." Ivan said as he handed us each our bows.

"Two thousand soldiers is next to nothing. Probably just a small scouting group. We're only sending five-hundred men to engage. If you four wish to tag along still, you're certainly welcome. Take from the horse stables over there." Ivan said as he mounted his horse and took off into the mob of men galloping away.

Without a word, the four of us mounted four horses, and took off after the others, bows and arrows clutched tightly in our fingers.

Hi All! Just thought I'd let you know that I have 2 new stories available on my profile page. "The Dragons of Lithia" and "The Lost Dragon" are both stories that you will certainly enjoy if you enjoy The Dragons Daughter! And obviously you do if you've made it this far! Enjoy all!