279

The Next Day

A crowd had gathered in a large clearing just outside the camp, with a large amount of space encircled by the crowd, large enough for the five dragons to land. I stood in the middle of the open space, with Amy, Tahli and Bailey off to the side, Bailey holding Jamie and James. King John stood across from me next to sir Ivan, with a dozen guards backing him.

"Well?" He exclaimed.

"They'll be here. They can sense when they're needed." I replied.

Not a moment after I gave my response, a screech from the clouds captured the attention of the many thousands of people who had gathered for the event. Doron appeared through the clouds, along with Veracon and Ragon as the three of them began to circle around over head while Magar and May flew down to us, landing in the center of the circle next to me. After the two of them landed, Veracon set down behind them, then Ragon beside him, leaving Just Doron in the air. He circled around three more times before confidently landing in front of the others, and letting out a dominant roar before looking down at king John.

"Is this all of them?" He asked.

I nodded, wanting to make a comment about his ability to count. King John stepped forward, looking up at Doron as I stepped aside to allow him through. Doron looked down at me, as if asking permission to kill the man, but I shook my head. King John stopped briefly as Veracon lowered his head down to eye level with the man, but King John had his focus locked on May.

"What do you call this one?" He asked as he pointed to may, who was hiding behind Veracon's leg.

"Her name is May. She's much younger than the other four, if you couldn't tell." I replied.

"And the purple one?" He asked as he turned to me.

"Magar. That's May's mother." I replied.

"Ah, lovely. And what of this black one who keeps giving me that look?" He asked as he turned his back to Doron.

"His name is Doron. I've bonded closely with him. He's the one who aided your men in the attack on the Marvin's. He's also May's father." I replied.

He chuckled, before looking back at the five of them.

"The green is Ragon, and the gold is Veracon. Both are Doron's brothers." I added.

"Bring the red one forward. I like her colors." He said.

I looked to Bailey for a moment, before pointing to May and indicating that she was to come closer. May eagerly came over to me, stopping just in front of me as she held her head over mine.

"Good. The other four can go." King John said.

I wasn't sure whether or not to take him seriously at first, but the look on his face made it clear that he was. I motioned for the others to take flight, but they all seemed incredibly hesitant to leave May on her own. 

"She'll be fine!" I shouted.

But the four of them refused. I placed my hand on May's throat and stroked it, causing her to purr and pressed up against my chest. I gave Doron a very stern look, while nodding my head up, making it clear that he was to take to the skies. He narrowed his eyes, before spreading his wings and taking off, with the others reluctantly following him. King John waited until they had risen high above us, circling around over head, before he would speak.

"So, what about this... Thing, can help us win this war?" He asked as he did a walk around, examining May.

"Dragons can breath fire to an unlimited degree. The three larger ones are mostly impervious to the majority of weapons that your enemies posses, only susceptible to large cannons, or perhaps a harpoon or spear if it is launched with enough force. They have teeth the size of swords, and claws the size of spears. The subject you selected for examination is considerably smaller than the others, so her features are not as developed. If you wish, I can bring one of the others down for you to take a closer look at." I said.

He didn't say anything for a moment as he looked over May.

"Would you say that those who control dragons also control the people they fight for? Perhaps assume the role of leader?" He asked.

Thinking that assuming a leadership role would be a good thing, I nodded yes.

"Well, in that case..." 

He paused.

"Sir Ivan, Have your men kill this creature. Set an example for the larger ones that they aren't to come near here again." He said in a commanding voice.

"What?! No!" I screamed.

"I will not have you steal my role as leader of these people you underweight slut. You had your orders, and you disobeyed. Now, you will pay the price."