329

The land was now nothing but a distant speck on the horizon, the suns light slowly receding as the moon took its place in the sky along with thousands of stars, the only dark spot being the silhouette of a dragon sitting at the edge of the small island, his head held up high as I lay in the tall grass. I watched as the massive creature slowly lowered his head down to the grass, the sounds of his breathing sending vibrations through my body.

The days seemed to melt together as more and more of them went by, with nothing eventful, apart from the occasional hunt happening, my mind very quickly started wondering, with the same sights of ocean, clouds and small islands day after day, and week after week, I began to feel as though I was going insane. The sky felt empty with only one dragon gliding through the clouds, especially after having seen it dominated by many more. 

The feeling of numbness was strong. I had spent my entire life wishing I could defeat the evil that ravaged the world I called home, and now I had done just that. But in the process, I had lost nearly everything I grew up with. Both of my parents, my sister, most of my friends, and most of my dragons. Having defeated any enemy I could ever know, and having lost so much, my life seemed to be almost pointless. The though of my further pointlessness, the thought of ending my own life crossed my mind more times that i'd like to admit. The one thing that kept me going was the thought of seeing my children and Bailey again. They were the only family I had left. The only thing I had left to live for. I knew I had to return home for them, if nothing else.

I rode my dragon for weeks, without speaking more than a few words to him. I began to feel as though we had flown in the wrong direction, and were now hopelessly lost at sea. Then, Just as I debated jumping from my dragons back to a watery death below, a speck of land appeared in the distance.