Chapter 24

A week later

Red pov.

Jenny came over yesterday in order to officially start this child's case. She hasn't started the investigation but has just made sure the child is safe and that there can be an investigation. He will leave his room now but will run back into it whenever someone sees him. Majora has put a few more toys in the boy's room.

Today me and Majora are making cookies, and our guest keeps peaking around the corner every few seconds. A few almost silent steps comes over to us. I give Majora a spoon full of dough, with the plan of giving the boy one too. Once he's close enough, I turn around crouching to his level with the spoon.

He has both his arms up ready to defend against a hit. I frown, just how often was the poor thing abused. "...it's Ok... I just thought you'd like to try..." I soothe going to rub his back as he runs off. 

Majora frowns "why is he so scared? Tatl said he didn't want to be found..." Majora asks, looking to where Vaati's door is as he slams it shut.

"He was hurt a lot in his old home, he thinks it's going to start happening here too. That's why we have to be extra quiet and gentle with him. It's why we can't pick him up or take him outside with us. So that he learns we won't hurt him, we need to let him come to us," I explain hugging him. I just want to pick him up, and gently rock him, telling him it's ok. That I won't let anything hurt him ever again.

"Why does he fear me? I'm not a grown up..." Majora asks understanding that an adult hurt him, but not accounting for any possible siblings that might have been hurting him as well. 

"He likely had an older sibling or multiple siblings that may have been hurting him too," I tell him, my brain making me think of the poor defenseless child crying.

"Why did they hurt him?" He asks next. 

"Because there are bad people out there that find it fun to hurt others. Or they think if they hurt someone for doing something wrong, that they won't do it again. Or they may have clouded judgement from something. There's a lot of reasons why. But there is never a reason to hurt someone who can't defend themself." I tell him hugging my little boy.