Chapter 29

Camera pov.

A small child with purple hair enters the room with Ms. Deblair. This wasn't the first time nor will they be the last.

The room I'm set to watch is small about six by five feet. The walls painted to be a cheerful scene of cartoon bunnies on a hill. The door has a small window. The floor has simple tile pattern in blue and grey strips. Two cushion chairs, a short but large desk separating them from the black office chair. The desk like always is supplied with pencils, crayons, and paper, a few fidget toys on the side.

"Vaati could you sit down please," Ms. Deblair asks of the child taking her own seat. The child does so staring at the empty chair, carefully holding a toy bat in his lap. "Could you tell me why you found on the door step of complete strangers at 3:43 am on January 26?" She keeps the detail on file but likes to be specific in the interviews. The child stays quiet shaking in their seat.

After about 15 minutes of questions and silence Ms. Deblair goes out of the room leaving the child with me. They push a chair to the wall and turn off the lights, limiting my vision, and they put the chair back.

Ms. Deblair comes back with a short blond male. Upon turning the lights on the child whimpers. The new male turns it back off "Vaati gets nervous with unnatural lighting," he explains taking a seat. 

"Vaati we really need to answer these questions, but we can take as many breaks as you need ok sweetie?..." he asks his outline rubbing the Child's.

"What lead to them finding you at their door step?" Ms. Deblair asks much less specific this time. 

"...I saw my chance to escape..." he says quietly only being heard from the clip on Mic. 

"Where were you when this happened? What was letting you escape?" Vio asks rubbing his back. 

"...At the food store... women fell and knocked over a lot of stuff... dad got mad... I saw my chance..."

"Has your dad ever hurt you?" Ms. Deblair asks, shuffling a little. 

The child nods. 

"How has he hurt you?" Vio follows up. 

"Pulling my hair... putting me in the closet... pushing me... hitting..." he admits voice slowly getting smaller. 

"Why was he putting you in the closet?" Ms. Deblair asks. 

"Gets angry... keeps me locked in..." Vaati latched onto the man holding onto him tightly.

"Were you going hungry?"
He nods
"Was that the reason you were stealing food at school?"
He nods again

"Was he calling you names?"
"Yes..."
"Could you give me some examples?"
"...unless... runt... parasite... he said I was a slut just like mama..."

"Did you feel safe?"
"Not since mama..."

"Did you have any friends?"
Nods
"Who were they?"
"A bat in the closet... She was nice to me... dad..."
"Is that why you love that toy so much?" The male puts in
The kid nods

"Did you ever tell anybody what was happening?"
"No... no one would believe me..."

The man asked the next question, "why do you hate the lights being on?" The child shifts a little whispering "that means dad's home,"

The man hugs him "Vaati needs a break," he says holding Vaati. Ms. Deblair agrees letting Vaati use a colouring book. Getting a candle to give them a little light without making the kid nervous.

"Are you ready to continue?" She asks looking at the out of line drawings made. The child nods and they start up again.

"Let's talk about your mother?" Ms. Deblair puts in. 

"What all do remember about her?" Vio asks rubbing Vaati's back again. 

"...dad yelled at her a lot... she'd sing to me... hold me.... I miss her..." he says crying. 

"Did he ever hit her?" Ms. Deblair asks, as the male has him take a drink. 

"Yes.... He slapped her... She fell... The table... There was so much blood..." he admits some eyes widening.