Chapter 87

Sheik pov.

In my health class our teacher asked us to ask our parents about our birth, and what led up to it. My mother adopted me, so I most likely got the longest answer out of all of them. There were facts that I already knew about before going into this. I knew who my birth mom was, if I asked I could quickly find my birth dad, but I don't think he really matters for me. So I got the story down now.

My mom had known Zelda from college, it was my mom's last semester, on Zelda's first. But they became friends, in two years Zelda contacted mom for help. Zelda saw mom as someone who she could cut out if things went wrong, but still get help from. She broke up with her boyfriend a week before finding out she was pregnant. Mom was happy to help her with this.

It started with mom asking a basic question. Can you raise a kid, mentally, physically, and financially? That was a no, she hadn't finished college out, could not emotionally support a child, and lacked the proper support network. So raising me had been eliminated very quickly from the list of options. Zelda made sure Mom knew to keep this just between the two of them, at least until everything was figured out.

Next question, could she carry me to term. As in she would not have any problems physically carrying me, other than the standard issues. That was a yes. Would her being pregnant interfere with her life too much. That one was a lot closer to not passing but it was another yes. Did she want an abortion, as in if you're having one, the earlier it happens the better. She took a week to answer. No, it just didn't feel right.

My mom asked a bit later if Zelda would be okay with her adopting me. Explaining that she did want to be a mother, was in a good place to support one, that she was aromantic and asexual. So if she could adopt me that would likely save her years of waiting on a list to adopt. Zelda took two weeks to give an answer, she was comfortable with it. Mom let her know that if she needed or wanted to move in during the pregnancy and recovery she was more than welcome to.

When they started getting scans, they thought that I was a boy. That belief didn't change anything as my mother has always believed that gender roles and ideas are stupid. But it came to a major shock to everyone that I was intersex. In certain ways I was lucky to have my mom as most new parents would get something removed.