Chapter 73

Vaati pov.

Dispute being 10 I still look like I'm eight sometimes even coming off as seven. I lost the illusion that I'm ever going to be tall awhile ago. It's not how my biology works and I didn't get enough food growing up. Vio's explained to me why those matter so much when we're growing. At least it means that I don't have to worry about people teasing me about being too old for plushies.

That and being home schooled. The biggest reason being that it's still my old school I'd be sent too. Red remembers that day he met my teacher. I don't really remember that day honestly but I remember being scared. I was always scared of her. She yelled at me a lot, I'm sure she would have hit me quite a few times if she was allowed to. Either way Red wouldn't let me go even if I wanted to.

I squeeze Batti remembering what little that I can. I don't have many clear memories but there are a few I don't think I'll ever forget. It was a kid's birthday and they were required to give everyone a piece of the cake he brought. At recess I was just sitting in the corner eating mine. It was the only food I had that day. A group of boys including the birthday boy started bullying me. I ignored it but they got physical and I lost the only food I had that day. Only after the teacher told me to stop lying about it did I think about stealing food.

I remember strange things too. A man in the park staring at me. It wasn't a sick look either. Just disbelief like I somehow was an alien that only he could see. But it had longing in it. Not perverted but like I looked like someone he once knew. I ended up getting lost one day, he let me use his phone to contact my parents and told me where we were. They seemed to know him but not like him.

Green says there's somethings I'm just not ready to know. These things aren't the typical things either. They tell me all the details about how babies are made. What will be happening to my body in a few years etc. But these things seem to be related to the supposed person I used to be. I know they were murdered but they seem reluctant to show other details.