[Chapter 001] - A New Student?

[Astrid's Point Of View]

......................................................................

*BEEBE, BEEEB, BEEEB, BEEEB, BEEEB*

It was 07:15 a.m. in the morning and I had to get up now. I had to eat breakfast and put on my clothes before going to school.

"AAAAAAAAAAAASTRID! Come down, breakfast is ready" my mom shouted impatiently from downstairs.

By the way, my name is Astrid Hofferson, I am 17 years old and I'm a student at Berk High, located in the city of Berk. I live with my mom, my dad, and my dog. My dog is a Golden Retriever called Stormfly.

She and I have been together for 4 years now, she is always so loving and she understands me when I feel down and sad. It can really be so nice to have someone you can always talk to.

"AAAAAAAAAAAASTRID! Are you up?" My mom shouted again...

"YES, MOM, I AM ON THE WAY" I shouted back and sat up in my bed. I stretched myself, rubbed my eyes and got up and walked over to my wardrobe.

What should I be wearing today? I thought to myself and tapped my chin. I quickly chose a pair of light blue jeans and a red shirt. I put it on as well as my socks, I brushed my hair and braided it.

I ran down the stairs in a hurry and into the kitchen. When I got down in the kitchen, my dad sat with a cup of coffee in his hand and read the newspaper while my mom cleaned up in the cabinets.

"Good morning," I greeted and sat down at the table. I quickly grabbed a plate and started to fill it up with food.

My mom must be feeling happy since she had made waffles with jam today.

"Are you looking forward to starting school again?" My mom asked and put down a glass of apple juice in front of me.

Oh, I just forgot to tell you... we had been vacationing for 3 weeks now and today was the day I had to start school again.

"Yes, I do," I said, taking a sip of the juice. I was really looking forward to seeing all my friends and classmates again.

"Well, but you have to go soon then, my dear," my mom said and took a glance at the clock above the stove. It was already 07:30 now and I should hopefully be at school at 07:50 so I had time to get my books in my locker before class.

"I'm going to drive you there. I have a meeting I need to go to, and it's in the same direction," my dad said, putting down the newspaper. My dad didn't normally drive me to school, usually, he had already left before I even woke up.

"Thank you" I thanked and went over to the sink with the plate.

"I'm ready in 5 minutes," I said and ran up the stairs to my room to pack my stuff. I will not be late... again...

I quickly packed all my stuff and sprinted down the stairs again. My dad was apparently already out in the car, waiting for me.

"Goodbye, mom" I shouted and closed the door behind me. I got into the car and sat at the passenger seat.

...

...

In about 15 minutes, my dad dropped me off at school and drove on. I walked towards the front door and went inside. I had to get my school books before the first module started. I went to my locker, typed in the code and opened it.

"Hey, Astrid" I heard. I looked over to my right. There, my best friend, Ruffnut, came, walking down the hallway towards me. She and I have known each other since we were young.

"Hey, Ruff, what's up?" I asked as I grabbed my books and closed my locker.

"Just as usual," she sighed, leaning up against the locker next to mine.

She suddenly looked around carefully to see if anyone was listening.

"Have you heard about the new student?" she whispered and held a hand on the side of her mouth to not let the others hear it.

I frowned slightly as I heard her words. "A new student?" I whispered back curiously.

Ruffnut looked around us once again and then she looked back at me. "I heard someone tell, that he was very hot and that he is starting here on Berk High today" she whispered, again, trying not to get any attention.

"I guess we'll find out," I said, chuckling, but before we even could continue our conversation, the bell rang. We were both supposed to have Chemistry now, so we went off together to the classroom.

...

It felt kind of boring as our teacher just told us about the periodic table, but time went fast as I was busy looking out the window, counting all the cars in the parking lot, over and over.

...

"I mean DID YOU SEE Mrs. Jensen's face when it exploded? She was completely stunned, that looked so funny!"Ruffnut laughed as we went down the hallway together after class.

"Yes, she hadn't quite seen it coming," I laughed back.

We were on our way down to the next class, which was Math. We were in a bit of a hurry so we went off a bit hasty. We wouldn't want to get late... again... again...

We reached the end of the hallway where there was a sharp turn to the left. I was just about to walk around and then...

*BUMP*

I just unexpectedly crashed into someone...

The crash causes me to fall backward and drop my school books on the floor. I quickly got up again and brushed off my jeans.

"I'm so sorry!... Here, let me help you out" a nasal voice said. He started picking up my books. He gathered them all and handed them back to me.

I looked up to see his face.

My eyes widened as I looked him in the eyes.

Right in front of me now, was a young boy, probably at the same age as me. His tousled hair had a nice auburn color. His eyes were so green and so beautiful as shining emeralds that gleamed in the light. He smiled kindly at me. I couldn't stop gazing at him, he seemed so... so... ...

"T-thank-k-ks" I stuttered and took my books. I gave him a sweet smile back and went over to Ruffnut, who just stood there and saw the whole event with widened eyes.

He smiled at me again and continued his way down the hallway in the opposite direction.

Ruffnut and I just stood there looking at each other.

"Wow" was the only word I could squeeze out.

Ruffnut began to giggle. "I think he's the new student," she said with a smirk and continued.

I followed her but didn't say anything. I should just use some time to get back to myself again...

............................................................

[- Next Chapter: Making New Friends]