[Chapter 057] - Experts Of The Barbecue

[Hiccup's Point Of View]

............................................................

I went over to Jack, who was still talking - probably with his mom. I went over beside him and began unzipping my bag as he finished the call.

"...Yes ...Yes, I will... No MOM! Stop It! I'm no longer a 7-year old... Okay... Okay, see you" he said and hung up. He turned to me with an annoyed look on his face.

"I guess it was your mom..." I said, putting down my towel in my bag.

Jack sighed deeply. "Yes, it was... She asked me to text her when I'm leaving tomorrow..."

I could see Jack was looking down at the floor in embarrassment. Was he hiding something?

"Really... Nothing else?" I asked. I know Jack's mom, and she is not the kind of person who just calls to tell you one thing... And if that's the case, she would usually make a long conversation about it...

Jack was red in embarrassment, but he smiled at the same time. "My mom... She... eh... She saw the condoms, I had in my drawer... And she was calling me to let me know that I shouldn't do any 'inappropriate business' while I'm together with you guys..."

"Whaaat?!... Okay... I just think we'll leave it there, okay?..." I laughed.

Yeah, I already knew about the condoms in Jack's drawer, but I also knew how his parents were raising him and telling him about 'inappropriate business'... They weren't the type of parents, who easily accepted this kind of 'activity'... But they are getting to the point, where they need to accept that Jack is no longer a little child, but a grown-up teenager...

"You are right... I mean, my mom is telling me not to have sex with anyone tonight..." Jack whispered. "Like that was my plan in the first place..."

"Yeah..." I giggled and patted his back. "Let's go help out the boys with the food"

He and I now went back into the kitchen and over to Tuffnut, who was busy marinating the last few steaks.

"Hey, Tuff, need any help?" I asked.

He put down the marinate and went over to the sink to wash his hands. "Actually, I would like to get a little help, lighting up the barbecue. Do you wanna help me with that?"

"Oh, sure! And how about Jack" I said and turned around, looking at Jack, who was now gazing at all the different food.

"Hey, Jack?" Tuffnut asked, walking towards him. "Can you do the last marinating for me? And then get the boys to carry all of this out to the barbecue?" He asked, pointing at all the different components, lying at the table in front of us.

Jack nodded, smiling and went over to begin his task.

I followed Tuffnut out the door to their terrace and over to the barbecue, they had. It was pretty big and seemed to be in good quality.

Tuffnut went over to one of the sides and opened a box, that was attached to the barbecue.

"Should we use gas or charcoal?" He asked, searching for something in the box.

"Oh, I don't know... My dad always tells me that charcoal makes the flavor of the meat taste better..." I answered. I went over to Tuffnut and looked down in the box.

"Okay, then we'll use charcoal..." He said and snickered a bit. "Between you and me... I'm not an expert on barbecuing, even though, I look like one..."

I smiled. "Me neither..."

"Then we sure make a good team!" He laughed. "Can you help me get this bag up?"

I went over beside him. We grabbed the big brown bag inside of the box and pulled it up. It was containing about 20 kilograms of charcoal, so we had a little struggle to get in up without destroying something.

...

But we succeeded and carefully placed it down in front of the barbecue. We helped each other loading some of the coal onto the barbecue.

...

"Guess we only have to light it up now," Tuffnut said, rubbing his hands together excitedly. He went over and grabbed some newspapers and a lighter. "Do you wanna have the honor?" He asked laughing, handing me the lighter.

"Sure!" I laughed back a took the lighter. He placed all the newspapers into the coal and gestured me to light it on fire.

I did and soon, all of the coal pieces were burning with a beautiful orange flame. Tuffnut and I stayed here to keep an eye out... Just in case something goes wrong...

"Hey, guys! Looks like you got the barbecue up running" Ruffnut greeted as she came out of the door and headed towards one of the armchairs.

Tuffnut and I turned around and greeted back.

"Yes, Hiccup and I are experts at barbecuing!" Tuffnut lied and winked at me. I smiled back and just nodded as I pretended it was true.

Now the door went open again, and out came Astrid. She was carrying a tray of potatoes, wrapped in aluminum foil.

She smiled and placed them down on a table near the barbecue. I heard the door open again, and now Snotlout, Jack, and Fishlegs came out, also carrying trays with the different components.

They also placed down their trays on the table and all went for an armchair. I looked as Astrid went over and sat down on the armchair next to Ruffnut.

...Ruffnut was busy talking to her brother so I decided to join Astrid...

"Hey, M'lady" I smiled as I went over and sat down on the edge of her chair.

"Hey, Babe," she smiled and moved a bit to the side. "Wanna sit here?"She asked and tapped the shallow space next to her.

I just giggled and stood up, getting over to her side and slowly lowering myself down alongside her.

We were close to each other... But it didn't matter!...

I leaned against the backrest of the chair and just observed as Snotlout tried to empress Fishlegs by continually throwing a potato up in the air and catching it again.

Astrid leaned back and planted her cheek on my chest, snuggling closer to me. I wrapped one of my arms around her and held her close.

I leaned down and kissed the top of her head.

...I can't wait till I get some alone time with her later tonight...

............................................................

[- Next Chapter: Dinner Is Reeeaaady!]