[Chapter 027] - I Am Really Sorry!

[Astrid's Point Of View]
............................................................

My eyes widened as I heard that sentence. My heart began to pound very quick now. I quickly pulled the blanket to the side and went out of bed. I wanted to see him now!

"Astrid, dear, let's not haste this much," my mom said and put a hand on my shoulder.

"Mom, I WANT TO SEE HIM NOW!" I insisted. I didn't want to wait any longer.

My mom nodded understandingly and went over to the door with me. I haven't told my mom and dad about my feeling for Hiccup yet... And I don't know if I ever should...

We went out of the room. I was currently wearing the clothes that I put on earlier, only my jacket and shoes were missing. I hope my mom and dad got them...

As we walked through the hallways of the hospital, I saw a lot of people sitting in the waiting room in front of us. We walked closer and as we made a sharp turn to the left, we came on another hallway, leading to the operation rooms.

I quickly spotted my dad standing in front of one of the doors. He was talking to a tall, muscular man with a big, red beard. He had a very concerned facial expression...

The man was wearing a black tuxedo and there seemed to be some kind of recognizable features about him. I don't know why...

We approached them slowly and the man shot a quick glance at me. Those eyes... I know them when I see them...

...Could it... perhaps... be Hiccup's dad?

Maybe... That would, at any rate, make sense...

My mom and I went over to them and they both stopped their conversation and looked at us.

"Astrid, did you get some sleep?" My dad asked. I nodded and smiled at the man in the tuxedo.

My dad's face then became a little sadder. "This is Stoick... Hiccup's dad..." My dad said and gestured to him.

"You must be Astrid, ay?" The man said and reached a hand to me. I shook it and nodded.

"I'm so sorry about what happened to your son, I really am!" I said and was about to shed a tear.

Stoick's face became a little more concerned, but he didn't seem to blame me for what happened to Hiccup... even though I knew it was my fault!

"Don't worry lass, he will be alright, again," he said and looked back at my dad.

"Where is Hiccup right now? I want to see him... Please" I asked. I wasn't tall enough to look through the small windows in the doors, so I couldn't see which room he was in.

"He is in room 786, but just so you know... he may still be sleeping and recovering from the operation," Stoick said and pointed at one of the doors further down the hallways.

I looked at my parents and they each gave me a nod. "Thank you" I thanked Stoick and went over to the door.

...

I took a deep breath before I opened the door...

As I walked into the room, the radio was playing very silently in the background...

(The radio was playing: 'Back for good' by Take That)

(You can play it if you want in the background too)

I looked to my left and there Hiccup was, laying in the hospital bed with tubes and machines attached to him. He had his eyes closed and just breathed slowly.

This was a terrible sight. He had one arm in a cast and a cervical collar around his neck for support.

"Oh no, Hiccup..." I whispered and went over to him. I took a chair and sat down beside his bed.

He was breathing slowly and he didn't seem to realize that I was there... He must be sleeping...

I took his hand in mine, he felt so warm, so soft... but also so lifeless...

I couldn't help but shed more tears. I was so happy to see him but also very sad... I really wanted him to be okay! I was not happy with this situation at all!

I took a deep breath...

"Hiccup... I'm so, so, so sorry! It is all my fault... I should've given you time to explain" I cried. He was still not responding to my words, but I still want him to know!

"This never happened if I hadn't run away... I feel so guilty... I'm so, so, so sorry!" I continued. My heart began to pound very fast now.

"I overreacted, I know! But only because... because I was so..." I whispered and buried my head in his blanket as I cried too much and felt too much shame and guilt...

...

...

"I don't blame you..." A gentle nasal voice spoke and I felt his thumb rubbing on the back of my hand. I felt a shock through my body as I realized that he had heard it all.

I raised my head even though my eyes were red and wet from crying. I looked at him and saw that he still had his eyes closed.

"You... what?" I nervously asked. I couldn't believe my ears...

"...I don't blame you at all" he said and slowly opened his eyes to look at me. He smiled at me and I couldn't stop crying as more and more tears went down my cheeks.

...He couldn't seriously mean that... could he?

"W-wh-why d-do-don-t-t?" I stammered. "It w-wa-s me who lead you to all this".

"Astrid, I don't blame you 'cause I chose to save you myself... And I don't regret doing that..." he said and closed his eyes again.

...I couldn't believe my ears... He sacrificed himself for me... He saved me... And he didn't regret doing it...

"Wh-wh-what?" I sniffled. He just kept his eyes closed and took some deep breaths.

"Listen, Astrid, I really want to tell you something... But I need to tell you what happened first... If you would allow me..." He spoke.

He opened one of his eyes and looked at me.

"Please, go ahead" I sniffled. I actually really wanted an explanation about this. My feelings were really killing me right now...

Hiccup took a deep breath...

............................................................

[- Next Chapter: The First Kisses]