Chapter 26: Autism

Some time ago I read a book of Peter Parker one shots and one of the chapters is where peter has autism, I have autism and not enough people write about him having the condition so I thought I would give it a go.

Anyway on with the story.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Autism, or autism spectrum disorder (ASD), refers to a broad range of conditions characterized by challenges with social skills, repetitive behaviors, speech and nonverbal communication. According to the Centers for Disease Control, autism affects an estimated 1 in 59 children in the United States today.

Peter is one of those kids. He wakes up every morning with the same routine from day to night. He gets up at 8:00am on the dot not a second later or he would think he was going to be late. He gets up out of bed making it before hopping in the shower.

Peter then gets dressed in the outfit he picked out the night beforehand which is something he always does just so he's prepared for the next day. He goes back to the bathroom and brushes his hair and teeth setting a timer counting how many times he brushes each side of his mouth.

When his alarm goes off he heads to the kitchen where he sees his dad making breakfast and his mom sitting on a chair at the island with a freshly brewed coffee cup in her hand. "Good morning." He announced.

"Mornin' Pete." His dad greeted.

"Good morning sweetheart." His mom said gently kissing his forehead.

"I'm making eggs and toast for you it's almost done." Tony said.

"Peter, would you like peanut butter on your toast?" Pepper asked.

"No." He replied.

"Bud, remember what we talked about?" Tony asked, Peter contemplated on what he and his father talked about, what would that be you might ask? Peter struggles in communicating with others he tries his best to work on it but that doesn't always work. "No, thank you." He corrected.

"It's okay peter just remember next time." Peter's eyes darted from the coffee pot sending delicate smells through his nostrils to the faint buzzing of the one lights. He hated it all it would always distract him from everything else going on around him.

It would sometimes send him into sensory overload. He could hear the pan of sizzling eggs being scraped his dad was cooking. He could smell the scent of his mother's perfume she was wearing sitting about two feet away from him, he saw the light getting brighter making him feel nauseous.

"Peter, hey sweetheart are you okay?" Pepper asked, When he didn't answer they knew what to do. He was going into sensory overload.

"F. R. I. D. A. Y. activate sensory overload protocol." Tony said, When Peter goes into sensory overload he doesn't like to be touched when he's ready he'll initiate it but otherwise stay few inches away. Then he thought, I have to go to school.

"You good, Peter?" Pepper asked.

"Yes, I'm okay," He replied.

"Can I have breakfast I have to go to school in..." He trailed off looking at the clock.

"10 minutes." He concluded.

"Yes you can Peter Pan." Tony said.

"I'm not Peter Pan dad Peter Pan is a fictional character."

"I know bud, it's a nickname."

"Oh, I like it then."

"Ned and I are building a new LEGO set."

"That's cool kiddo!" Pepper exclaimed, Tony walked to the table giving peter his food which didn't touch, Peter hated when his food touched he thinks it tastes like the thing that touched it.