Chapter 60: Papa

Hello everyone! I'm dedicating this chapter to my friend Sarah who is an amazing writer you should check out her books. I'm also dedicating this chapter to Veteran's Day since it was 2 weeks and 2 days ago. Also since Steve was in world warII I decided to switch things up and to do a CaptainDad one shot.

Anyway on with the story.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peter's POV

Steve Rogers, who also happened to be an Avenger, and a decorated war hero, and my Papa, has been in Afghanistan for the past 353 days on a special mission assigned by Fury. His mission's almost over, I think a few more months, but I still miss him so much. I write to him everyday and we FaceTime every time we get the chance, despite how rare the opportunity presents itself.

My 15th birthday is tomorrow and I'm beyond ecstatic! Not only because it's my birthday but papa and I get to FaceTime! I wish I could see him in person but he's away helping our country stay safe and that's a good thing.

As I lay down in my bed getting ready to go to sleep I reread papa's latest letter which read,

Hello, my little love. I hope you're doing well, I miss you so much and I can't wait to return! I've been counting down the days until your birthday, I cannot believe that my baby is already fifteen. I remember it was just yesterday when it was your first day of school. I really wish I could be there to see you in person, and I promise I'll make up for all the lost time when I return in a few months. As promised, we're going to FaceTime, mission be damned.

I can't wait to see your face, and sing you happy birthday. I really miss you so much. Every time I drift off asleep, I'll be thinking about you, as it's always about my boy being safe and happy. And when I get home, I'll be glued to your side so often that you'll be begging your Uncle Tony to get rid of me.

I love and miss you so much Peter, never forget that. And also stay out of trouble mister. No more pranks on your aunts and uncles with Ned and Mj as your accomplices. At least until I get back, alright bud?

                         ℒ𝑜𝓋𝑒, 𝒫𝒶𝓅𝒶 ❤️

The next morning I wake up to Friday saying happy birthday after I got up and dressed I walked out to the living room where uncle Tony was.

"Good morning uncle Tony!" I said in a chipper tone.

"Mornin' kiddo happy birthday." Uncle Tony greeted.

"Thank you where's uncle Bucky?" I asked.

"I think he's in the kitchen. I'm going there wanna come with me?"

"Sure." I replied.

We headed to the kitchen where my uncle was making breakfast. He hugged me and I sat down at the table chatting with everyone and eating food. I really wish my dad was here but I get to see him soon later on tonight I think. Since it's a different time zone there we have to coordinate times for when we could talk.

"So Peter, what do you wanna do today? After all it is your birthday." Wanda asked.

"I really wish Papa was here to celebrate with me, but I get to FaceTime him later so there's that could we invite Ned and Mj?" I asked.

"Yeah they could come over just as long as my lab doesn't get destroyed." said Uncle Tony.

"Uncle Tony for the last time it wasn't me and Ned it was DUMM-E he thought mixing hydrogen peroxide and baking soda was the only thing that wouldn't cause a massive explosion." I said.

I exclaimed, "That robot has it in for me I'm telling ya!"

"Yeah okay kid hey Fri call Ned and Mj telling them to come over."

"Yes sir." The AI responded.

After a little while Ned and Mj came over giving me presents I decided to open them when I would FaceTime with papa. So he could see them too we had a Star Wars movie marathon. But Mj still believes Harry Potter is better Ned and I said she's insane.

"Maybe I am insane and I've come here to murder your uncle and take over Stark Industries maybe even the world cause I'm that awesome." She said.

"Okay that's very hypocritical even for you Mj and I can say this for everyone in the room that your dark humor is killing the mood of this fantastic franchise of films besides Harry Potter came years later after Star Wars which paved the way for your movies." I ranted.

She scoffed, "Yeah yeah Rogers whatever you say to make yourself feel better."

"Let me remind you that I'm what three months older than you am I wrong?" I teased.

"Screw off Rogers you're lucky there are witnesses."

"Guys would you shut up we're trying to watch!" Ned shushed.

Mj and I stopped arguing I still think Star Wars is better but whatever floats her boat. Once the movie was over Friday spoke directly to me. "Yeah Fri what's up?" I asked.

"Someone's trying to video call you from your computer Peter it'd be best if you answered."

There's only one person who'd be calling right now. "Papa!" I exclaimed, I ran straight towards my room accepting his call request and there he was on the screen. "Hi Papa!" I greeted.

"Hey little love happy birthday!" He exclaimed. He looked so happy and it made me miss him more.

"Thank you papa how are you?" I asked.

"I'm good, just heading over to my supervisor to figure out our next mission. How's your special day been?" He asked.

"It's been great so far! I just wish you were here that way you could celebrate with me."

"I know kiddo I miss you too so, so much but remember this is my last tour and before you know it, I'll be home holding you." He said.

"I've gotta go sweetheart but I love you and happy birthday."

I waved, "Bye Papa! I love you too!" I disconnected the call sighing sadly as tears slipped down my cheeks. I really miss him. If he was here it'd be even more fun but like he said he'll be here before I know it.

"Hey Peter, c'mon we've set up another movie." Ned said from my doorway. I got up from my bed and followed him out to the living room and when we got there I saw him... my Papa.

"Papa." I murmured I was frozen but I ran to him and jumped into his arms crying, "Papa y-you're home!" I said.

"My supervisor discharged me early. I'm home forever kiddo." He held me tight and kissed my forehead.

"I missed you so much Papa." I said with my head buried in the crook of his neck.

"I missed you too my little love." He said.

I could tell everyone was smiling at us. We let go and sat down by everyone else and we watched another movie soon eating birthday cake opening presents.

As the sun was soon disappearing from the once bright blue sky Ned and Mj left and soon everyone was getting ready for bed and once I did, I knocked on my papa's door.

Hearing a muffled voice to come in I entered the room he turned from his book to me. "Hi Papa." I said.

"Hey kiddo." I walked up to the empty left side of his bed and crawled in cuddling with him. "I don't want this to be a dream." I told him.

He started combing his hands through my hair. It was calming me letting the bubbling anxiety melt away. Because that terrifying thought of me waking up to find out everything I did was a dream.

It scared me because I couldn't stand the thought of losing my papa.

"It's not a dream Peter I'm home and I'm not going anywhere."

"Promise?" I asked.

"Promise." He replied. And soon I fell asleep in my dad's arms. This was definitely the best birthday ever.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The End of Chapter 60