Chapter 87: Heather

(Alright everybody, in honor of pride month this chapter is essentially Peter having a crush but it's not what you think. It's gonna be sad. Also listen to the song while reading, it's up above.)

Anyway on with the story!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I still remember, 3rd of December, me in your sweater.

Peter sat in history class next to his best friend Marshall, he was kind, smart, and had a bit of a bad boy vibe to him. He was the captain of the Midtown Tech lacrosse team, and Peter had known him since the start of freshman year. They've had some fun times.

You said it looked better on me, than it did you.

After class they began to walk through the school halls to get to their next class. Peter kept on shivering, even though he was wearing a long sleeved shirt, which prompted Marshall to shake his head towards his best friend who he knew was cold but equally stubborn to go back to his locker and grab his jacket. "You're incredibly stubborn Parker", he laughed.

"Oh be quiet M. it's not my fault I don't wanna go all the way back to my locker." Peter protested.

"You know what I call that? I call that laziness." Marshall teased.

Only if you knew how much I liked you.

Whenever Peter saw Marshall smile it made him smile, he couldn't quite differentiate what these feelings were. He knew it was a pleasant feeling but it took some time to figure out what this was. Marshall sighed since Peter's stubbornness was unmatched, "Here take my sweater." He started taking off his sweater and handed it to Peter.

"No Marsh, it's yours." Peter pushed it away trying to politely refuse Marshall's offer.

"Peter you're cold, take it. Besides it'll look better on you than me." Marshall said still holding out the sweater, Peter hesitantly took it while blushing and put over his head. Pulling it down and slipping his arms through. He noticed it looked like a dress compared to his actual jacket, but he loved that his tiny frame could fit into it like that.

It smelled like Marshall, and the thought was enough to make Peter's cheeks more rosy. I didn't mean that in a creepy way, but why does he make me so giddy inside? Peter thought.

"C'mon we gotta get to class or else Mr. Matthews will get upset..." He trailed.

But I watch your eyes, as she walks by

Peter followed Marshall's gaze; it led to her, Claire Griffin, Peter sighed quietly and rolled his eyes. Out of everyone in school (that wasn't him.) he had to like Claire. As they kept walking Claire winked at Marshall who smiled back at her.

What a sight for sore eyes, brighter than a blue sky

She was so perfect, with her caramel colored skin, wavy raven locks, and electric blue eyes. Everyone loves her, how could they not?

She's got you mesmerized, while I die

Peter found it hard to hate her, she was so adorably sweet and was every guy's dream girl. Why couldn't Marshall look at him the way he looks at her? Holy crap! I have a crush on Marshall! Oh my god. Peter finally realized what those feelings were. Why didn't he figure this out earlier.

Why would you ever kiss me? I'm not even half, as pretty

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

One Month Later

Marshall started dating Claire, up until now Marshall let Peter keep his sweater. As they sat at lunch together of course Claire was with them, she and Marshall are pretty much glued at the hip. It made Peter feel so jealous, she was able to cuddle up to him, hug him, kiss him...

"Hey Peter can I ask you something?" Marshall said.

Peter looked up from his salad he hadn't even taken a bite of, he just sat there stabbing his fork at it. "Sure Marshall, what's up?" Peter asked.

"Could I um have my sweater back?" Marshall asked, rubbing the back of his neck. Hold up- what? Peter was baffled, he didn't even have to comprehend that Marshall was gonna give Claire the sweater.

Peter had to hide his pain, as well as his disappointment, "Yeah, I'll give it to you tomorrow, it's at my apartment." Peter said with hardly any emotion.

You gave her your sweater, It's just polyester, but you like her better

After school Peter went home he wore the sweater for the last time crying himself to sleep. He tried to hate Claire so much, but he simply couldn't. She was just too good, Peter couldn't compete with her. He hated having to be THAT friend, the one that third wheels everything the high school sweethearts do.

Wish I were Heather

Why did it hurt so much, he felt like his best friend was tossing him aside as if he was useless to him now. If he were a girl maybe he'd be able to be with his friend, yeah turns out doing the research he did and coming to the conclusion he was gay and in love with his best friend, wasn't the best idea.

Everything will become so awkward if he tells Marshall the truth, he will either not feel the same, or hate him, Peter's betting on both. Why must his love life be in desperate despair? A tragic romance that refused to be seen.

Watch as she stands with her holding your hand

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Next Day

Peter saw the perfect couple at Marshall's locker, whispering and giggling to each other. Peter walked closer with the sweater in his hands, Claire saw him and waved. "Hi Peter!" She said.

"Hi Claire, hey Marshall, here's your sweater." Peter handed the sweater back to Marshall, he took it and smiled at Peter.

"Thanks, well babe I've gotta go." Marshall kissed Claire's cheek watching as she blushed and then him and Peter were off to class.

Put your arm 'round her shoulder, now I'm getting colder

Metaphorically Peter felt cold, but not physically. He wants to be mad at Marshall except he'd sound like a complete jerk, why would Marshall take it back? He could've just not given it to Peter in the first place.

Why was Claire so nice to Peter? In all of the movies the girlfriends would turn out to be clingy, obsessed, and psychotic. But she isn't, she's possibly the sweetest person ever apart from Peter.

But how could I hate her? She's such an angel

He sometimes wishes she wasn't in the picture maybe if she wasn't Marshall's girlfriend he could be something other than his best friend. But the problem is Marshall's straight so... that would be the definition of a train wreck.

But then again, kinda wish she was dead, as she walks by

Peter would never harm anyone, especially Claire because she did nothing wrong to him. He couldn't believe he was even having the idea to somewhat sabotage Marshall and Claire's relationship. He wished he wasn't so jealous.

(Just to be clear I'm not doing the rest of the song, because it repeats the same lyrics, besides you guys are probably listening to it while reading this.)

Peter once again cried himself to sleep that night, dreaming about what could've been if Marshall felt the same way he does. But he's stuck in the friend zone, trapped, and unable to get out.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The End of Chapter 87