Chapter 7: An Early Scare

After (Y/n), Akari, and Narahashi finished their shopping and headed back to the girl's house, Narahashi fixed the door for her. He seemed to have done such a good job that the door looked more secure than ever. The girl thanked him, trying to give him money for helping her with such short notice; however, he refused it.

"But I have to pay you!" the girl begged, shoving the money in his chest.

"No, you don't," he laughed, "I just did you a favor, that's all. Besides, I owe you for always doing my work for me."

The girl looked down, finding no arguments to make him change his mind. She felt bad because he had paid for the screwdriver and had spent an hour fixing up the door by himself and she hadn't really done anything. It felt wrong to her and he noticed this, holding onto one of her hands in comfort.

"If you still feel bad about it," he started as he rolled his eyes playfully, "Then there's one thing I'd like from you."

"Name it," the girl said.

"Get some rest tonight," he smiled softly, "You've been working so hard. Tomorrow, I'll do both of our work so all you have to do is relax."

The girl felt her cheeks warm up at his thoughtful consideration and blushed further when she looked down at his hand enveloping hers. She walked a little closer to him and gave him a shy smile before looking down, embarrassed. He felt the same but braved himself to be able to bury his nose in her hair in a subtly affectionate manner.

"What are you doing, Narahashi?" Akari giggled, "Do you like (Y/n)?"

The accused male jumped back, taking his hand away from the female and put it in his hair, chuckling nervously. Then he waved to the girl, Akari joining him out of the house.

"We-Well," he laughed, "I'll see y-you tomorrow!"

"Y-Yeah," she chuckled, just as nervous as he was.

The boy left, Akari humming alongside him. The neighborhood where (Y/n) had lived was not the best around. It was true that the city was a wealthy one but since her family couldn't afford the rent, she lived in a beaten-down neighborhood where many bad things were prone to happen. Murder, kidnapping, and theft were the most common of these.

The neighborhood was incredibly dark at this point even when the night had only just begun. This was because most street lights were either broken or very faded. Not only was the lighting perfectly eerie for the two males walking together, but the street was completely deserted, leaving only one or two witnesses lingering about who were either drunk or high. They could be easily disposed of.

"So, how long have you known (Y/n)?" Akira asked, skipping happily beside the other male.

"Um," the boy paused, "Since we were, uh, maybe 7 or so? You know, the second grade. We were pretty young and stupid back then. Well, at least I was."

"Yeah?" the boy asked, "And what do you think of her?"

"She's...incredible," Narahashi blushed, "I mean, she's kind and beautiful...and not to mention she's really smart. I've always kind of had a thing for her as embarrassing as it is. I'm kind of a jerk to her for pushing all my work on her."

"Yeah, that's not very nice," Akari said, his tone less playful than before, "but she is beautiful isn't she?"

There was a long moment of silence between them, only their footsteps audible and the shouts of the neighbors arguing. It was unnerving and Narahashi tensed his shoulders, uncomfortable with the location he was in. Akari, on the other hand, was quite comfortable there. Not that he liked it.