Chapter 20: An Excuse

As the girl approached her chair in health, she noticed a very nervous looking Takuya. His eyebrows were upturned in concern and he was drawing something on a piece of paper, looking unsatisfied with the way it looked. (Y/n) leaned over his shoulder, observing the sketch he'd made.

"Is that me?" she asked with a little giggle.

The boy, startled, jumped and tried to cover his drawing with his arms. She only pushed them aside with her finger and continued to look at it. His face turned red, expecting her to criticize his drawing.

"It's cute," she smiled, "I didn't know you could draw."

"I can't," he said, hiding his face behind his sleeves, "but Shota can...He's really good."

She looked to her left to see Shota with a surprised expression. He hadn't expected Takuya to drop his name like that, not that he wasn't grateful for the opportunity to impress the (h/c) haired girl standing before him. It just took him a while to register he'd been complimented on a skill he had. It wasn't often something such as that transpired.

"Really?" (Y/n) asked, curiously as she sat down in between the two of them, "Would you mind if I saw?"

"Of course!" Shota said, excitedly, "I-I would love for you to see! Just one second!"

He began to dig through his bag before pulling up a leather book. It had the initials S.A. on it in the lower righthand corner of his book. He handed it to the girl, anticipating compliments or praise for his work. As she opened it for them all to see, a smile plastered on her face. His drawings were indeed very beautiful and he clearly had talent. The artworks were so detailed and the colors together were breathtaking.

She flipped page after page, admiring the works that only continued to get better as they progressed. She had gotten almost to the end of the book when Shota put his hand on hers suddenly and took back the book, his eyes plastered to the other side of the room. He didn't take his green eyes off of the wall, seemingly nervous.

"Th-That's enough," he said.

"There's no more?" the girl asked, twisting a lock of her hair.

"Well," he paused, enamored by her little action, "Um, there is, but - "

"Then let me see!" she chuckled, grabbing the book back.

"(Y/n), I'd really prefer if you didn't - "

She began to open the book again, flipping to the pages she hadn't seen yet. The boy began to panic, trying to grab it back, but she playfully kept it out of his reach.

"(Y/n), I mean it," Shota said.

The girl only continued to playfully keep it out of his reach, flipping pages above her head. When she got to a certain part, he snapped and gripped onto her arm tightly, making her wince and drop the book.

"I said no!" he shouted.

She stepped back from him, holding her arm in shock. The boy quickly picked up the book and shoved it in his backpack. He held an annoyed glare, resting his head on his chin in an irked manner and looking down at the table, refusing to acknowledge her presence. He gave a "tch" before tapping his fingers on the table.

(Y/n) began to sit down on the right side of Takuya, away from Shota and rested on her arm, nervously. His outburst had scared her a little more than a bit and she didn't know how to react. Takuya smiled, knowing this was his chance to comfort her and attempted to put his arm over the girl's shoulder.

He was awfully scared of how she would react but he did it nonetheless, letting out a sigh of pleasure when he felt her beautiful form with his arm. It might have only been her shoulder, but to him, it was nothing short of pure bliss. He leaned his head on the girl's and felt a shiver of gratification run up his spine.