Chapter 16: Running Away?

A girl was running as fast as she could through the forest. Leaves and branches were crunching beneath her now broken high heels, matching her ripped dress. Her hair was strewn about, straying from her perfectly done blonde hair. Her diamond necklace was ripped from her neck by a rock as she landed on it, shattering the metal bond and leaving it in the mud.

She looked back at it, knowing she would receive a scolding from her father, but she couldn't care less, considering she was running for her life. At that point, she began to wheeze, trying to get oxygen into her system. Her blood was pumping so fast, she felt like it was constricting her and taking over her being. All she could think about was her dire situation.

"Ruri~" a terrifying voice called out in a song-like manner.

Upon hearing her name, the girl sprinted even faster. Even though her legs giving out beneath her, she kept running. Her fear was at its height and her heart was beating faster with each and every step she took.

Eventually, she came to a point where she couldn't go on any further, collapsing in a small river. It was freezing and she began to shiver, rubbing her arms up and down to get warm. It was a fruitless endeavor as behind her, a figure appeared. In his hands, he held a gun and he held it up to her.

In response, she held her arms in front of her in a pathetic attempt to shield herself. The figure laughed, clutching his stomach from the humor he found in it. While it didn't entertain him long, the girl found hope in being able to flee. Soon after, her hair was caught and she began to cry, pleading for her life.

"Stop it, please!" she begged, "I'll do anything! All you have to do is ask it of me. Do you want money? I have plenty!"

The figure smirked as the moonlight illuminated his features. His gleeful eyes and joyful smile held pure intentions while his actions suggested otherwise. He began to pull out a knife and cut across her cheek, drawing blood. She screamed, hoping someone could hear her. Contrary to her hopes, there was no one around. No one could help her.

"I don't care for money," he said, crouching down to her and tightening his hold on her hair as he lifted her up to be at eye-level with him, "You've already made your mistake. There's nothing you can do to fix it now."

"Do you mean about the apology?" she cried, "I told her! I told her exactly what you wanted!"

"Perhaps you did," the boy smirked, "but the thing is, your tone was horrendous. Because of your sarcastic tone, you made both my darling and that monster skeptical. Because of your sarcastic tone, he shielded her from me like I was the monster! Because of your sarcastic tone, (Y/n) doesn't believe your apology! Do you know what that means?"

"N-No," the girl whimpered.

"It means she's still going to be sad!" he growled, pressing the knife to her throat, "Such an emotion isn't to come to her beautiful heart! It's all your fault! You had to make her feel lesser than. Well, you won't be an issue much longer. Your time...is up."

The male pocketed the knife, wiping the blood from it off in the stream and pulled out his gun, pressing it to the side of her head as she wept. Her expression of pure terror and despair made him grin.

"I do apologize for my sadistic side," he chuckled, "but, for what it's worth, you've made this a good hunt for me. Say cheese."

After those two words, the gun fired, sending an echo through the forest. The girl fell, her body landing in the freezing water of the river. As the shot from the gun lodged in her head, blood began to pour from it. The male leaned down and took the bullet out, putting it in a pouch with others of its kind.