Chapter 86: The End Draws Near

It was early in the morning that (Y/n) woke up, her eagerness to leave the house behind driving her to rush down the stairs. She was shocked to see Akari laying down on the cold wooden floor instead of residing in his bed. As if he sensed her, his eyes opened and he lifted his head, making eye contact with her for a while before fully understanding it was her that was standing in front of him.

The boy then sat up, feeling somewhat lightheaded and threw his head back against the leg of the dinner table as he woke himself up. The girl didn't hesitate to rush over to the kitchen and make some hot chocolate for him, handing it to him only to receive blushing cheeks from the blonde. He gratefully took it and placed it to his lips, enjoying the sugary taste of the treat especially made for him.

"You didn't have to," the boy paused, seeing the concerned look on the girl's face and finished his sentence differently than he had intended, "but I...I really appreciate it. You're too kind to someone like me."

"Well, you're my ticket out of here," the girl joked, giggling happily as she drank her own cup of hot chocolate, "So do you know when or what we're going to do yet?"

"Hm? Oh, yes. We'll leave tonight if you want."

"Yes, please!" (Y/n) said, a genuine smile on her lips, "Tonight, tonight, tonight."

Akari went completely silent, his cheeks warming up as he saw the girl become herself for the first time in a long while. Her innocent smile, her vibrant eyes, her excited form as she fantasized about tasting freedom from her cage. It made him shiver with joy and he resited the urge to hug her for the breathtaking sight. It was truly stunning to see her regain her natural self. He far preferred it over her being a puppet to the others.

"I can't wait to see you smile like that all day again," Akari sighed, speaking his mind out loud only to put his hand over his mouth out of embarrassment, "S-Sorry. I'm probably creepy."

"It's fine," (Y/n) chuckled, "I'm just excited to see Narahashi again. I really miss him."

"Is that so?"

The blonde narrowed his eyes at the mention of the bluenette but said nothing, keeping his opinions to himself. Then came a groggy questioning hum from the shyest boy of the group, the white-haired boy rubbing his eyes from just waking up. He seemed to have heard some of the conversation, especially the mention of the former student council president and he was clearly not very pleased. He quickly rushed to the (h/c) haired girl's side and hugged her tightly as Haru came down the stairs as well.

"(Y/n), why do you like him so much?" Takuya whined, wanting her attention to be only directed to himself, "There's something off about him! He's...bad."

"Oh yeah?" the girl scoffed, "What about him is bad?"

Takuya paused, trying to rack up some kind of makeshift evidence to prove the blunette's guilt. He frowned when nothing came to mind, only affirming (Y/n)'s belief that he was jealous and nothing more. Narahashi had always been a sweet person and it wasn't just to her, but others as well. Even when it came to people that hurt him or picked on him, he still retained his natural kindness, showing empathy and sympathy to everyone he met. (Y/n)'s cheeks reddened at the thought and she felt very safe.

"Akari, say something," Takuya said, pouting like a child, "You've seen more of who he is than we have. He had to have done something bad!"

The blonde looked over at the girl who gave him a warning look and then back at the white-haired boy, shaking his head. He refused to say anything when his goddess very clearly did not want him to utter a lie. Besides, even if he did have something to prove Narahashi wasn't as sound as he seemed, he wouldn't bring it to light unless it proved potentially harmful to her. But that wasn't the case. Unfortunately, the bluenette was completely harmless.