Chapter 75: A Secret Shared Between "Friends"

Watching curiously at the scene before them, Haru gave a small "huh", rocking Bastien to sleep again, but (Y/n)'s reaction was entirely different. She watched with a strange curiosity as Akari had Rei pressed lightly to the wall, both of them clearly enjoying the kiss. Although Rei had his eyebrow raised in suspicion, he still moaned and clutched at Akari pulling him deeper into their intimate embrace. As their lips parted from one another, Akari looked into Rei's violet eyes and let out a deep breath.

"This is goodbye," he said, his body trembling as though it protested him saying that, "We both know we were both fooling ourselves."

"Yep!" Rei said, oddly cheerful about his best friend's declaration, "(Y/n) comes first, right?"

Akari froze, feeling the girl's eyes on him and looked to the other side of the room, seeing his goddess look at him with surprise. He embarrassingly blushed and placed his hand over his red cheeks while Rei looked at her with sudden delight, their reactions vastly different. Haru raised an eyebrow at their words, slightly curious, but at the same time, largely indifferent about the situation.

"(Y/n)!" Rei said, grinning wide and intending to hug her.

However, Haru tugged the girl to the side so the blonde couldn't wrap his arms around her, shooting him a suspicious glare in the process. Akari slammed the door, locking it so no one could come inside, and sat with his back to the wooden barrier, shivering in fear. Bastien began to cry from the loud noises surrounding him, waking up and worrying Haru who made his way to the next floor to hand him off to his caretakers.

"Do you love Akari?" (Y/n) asked, not knowing what else to say.

"Nope!" Rei beamed, "It's a long story, but if you'll cuddle with me, I don't mind telling you about - "

"How about she gets to her studies?" Shota scoffed, grabbing the girl's hand and leading her to the study.

"Whenever you wanna know about it, just come to my room and I'll tell you all about it!" Rei shouted after them, his voice bouncing off of the hallway's walls.

Shota let out a sigh as he entered the study, already exhausted with the day's events. He kissed the top of the (h/c) girl's hand and motioned for the tutor to take over as he left the room, closing the door behind him. She was left to her tutor, who instructed her in the rest of her lessons for the day.

. . .

Takuya and Yamato sat in the backyard, watching as the dogs frolicked about, the animals still enamored with the same toy. One of them, Genkei, had given up and was laying on his back, panting as Takuya pet him affectionately. Yusei watched from inside the house, resting on the couch, having a lacking conversation with Haru. Yamato leaned back, looking up at the sky and trying not to think of (Y/n) who had been occupying his thoughts for the past few hours.

"Hey," Takuya said suddenly, making the brunette turn his head slightly listen to the white-haired male, "You know, a while ago, I saw (Y/n) had a cut across her neck."

"What?!" Yamato said, sitting up quickly and paying full attention, "What happened?"

"I don't know," the shy boy said quietly, tucking his head behind his knees, "I don't know how to bring it up. It's probably faded by now, so she'll just deny it was ever there. But...But I don't like it. I don't like that she can get hurt like that without telling me or asking for help. Does it worry you, too?"

"I mean," the brunette paused, blushing faintly, "Admittedly, yeah, but why bring this up if it's gone?"

"Last night." Yamato tensed upon hearing Takuya start out that way, theorizing the boy knew what he'd done to (Y/n), "She almost got a bullet shot in her. It made me think about a few things. But she hasn't asked for anyone to help her bandage her wound. It might be small, but it doesn't feel that way. If she didn't get away in time...she would have left me."