113

Audrey's POV

"One more game." I whisper as the stadium for today's final comes into view. "One more game.

As we're pull up to the Johan Cruyff Arena my husky starts nosing Balto's dog tags which I have worn as a necklace ever since he passed away.

"I know Snowball." I say as I pet my snow white Emotional support Husky. "I miss him too."

Balto passed away a year ago in 2030 at the age of 10 due to cancer and for the last year of his life we trained a new emotional support husky for me since I sadly still need an emotional support animal.

Paris and London named her Snowball.

"Come on Audi." Mal says as the bus stops.

After the 2024 NWSL season Mal, Abby, Emily, and I hashed out our issues regarding them asking me to help them start a family and now we're fine.

Mal, Abby, Emily, and their partners decided to adopt instead of getting pregnant.

After the bus stops in front of the everyone gets of the bus.

Once Snowball and I get off the bus we head into the stadium then we head to the locker room.

When I get to the locker room I stand in front of the team and wait for them to shut up.

"Alright." I say. "We all know what it would mean for me to score today..."

I'm currently sitting on 198 goals in my national team career and I'm tied with my very good friend Vivianne Miedema who passed Christine Sinclair in her last game with the Dutch team after the 2029 Euro's.

"Do not make an extra effort to try to get me a goal." I say. "If it comes then it comes, so just play your game and let's make sure we win...Okay?"

Everyone nods so I head to my locker then take off my necklaces, earrings, and nose ring before I start to change. I then change into my warm up shirt, game shorts, my socks and my rainbow and white boots.

After I'm dressed I head out to the pitch with the rest of the team. When I get on the pitch I run through my warm ups with the starters for a while then head back to the locker room.

As I walk back to the locker room I think about everything that's happened since my wife and I got married.

Once the 2024 NWSL Season ended Daan and I honeymooned with the kids and Balto in the Maldives for two weeks then we came back to get ready for the new season. Daan retired after the 2025 Euro's, which the Dutch won. After Daan retired my career flew by and it's ending after 11 years once this World Cup ends.

I'm 33 and I wanna be home more to see my kids grow up.

My career flew by because I focused more on my family than on football. I still played to the best of my ability, but my main concern was my family and making sure my kids and my wife wanted for nothing in life.

Today's the 2031 World Cup final and we, the USA, are playing France.

At the 2027 World Cup, we lost in the final to the Dutch and we lost due to shitty referring. The ref in that match sucked so bad that FIFA stripped away her credentials.

We won the following Olympics which we're held in Los Angeles then we quickly shifted to try and winning another World Cup.

The remaining players from the 2023 World Cup squad are myself, Mal, Tierna, Alana Cook, Sophia Smith, and Hailie Mace

Once in the locker room I head to my locker, change out of the training top, then change into my white jersey. After I'm dressed I wait around while the coaching staff do their last minute talks. When the talks end, the starters and I head to the tunnel and I line up at the front since I'm the captain.

I've been the captain since 2025

When the ref tells us too we head onto the field then stand in line for the anthems. After the anthems we shake hands with the French then we shake hands with the refs.

After we finish shaking hands we take our starting XI line up photo.

"Sit Snowball." I say to my dog, who's wearing my jersey.

Snowball does as told and sits down next to one of the midfielders while I stand behind him for the picture.

Once the picture is taken, Snowball and I head to the team huddle.

After the team huddle I lead Snowball to the bench.

"Alright Snowball." I say as we get to the end of the bench. "You stay here okay?"

Snowball barks at me so I pet him one more time then I head onto the pitch.

Once on the pitch I head to the center circle while I look in the stands for my wife.

When I find Daan I smile at her then I blow her a kiss.

"I love you." I mouth.

"I love you Audi." Daan mouths.

"HI MAMA." The twins shout making me chuckle.

I smile and wave at my kids then I find my Mom and smile at her.

Mom smiles at me and winks then I focus on the game.

"You ready Audi?" Sophia Smith asks as I reach the center circle

"Yeah." I say. "Let's go win this thing."

- - - - -

"Fuck." I mumble when France level the score at 2-2 after some French chick scores in the 83rd minute.

As the French celebrate we grab the ball, bring it upfield, then wait for the French.

Once the French are on side we restart the game and through out the rest of the match we pepper the French goal, but nothing goes in.

In the 89th minute France have another free kick and the only reason their keeper doesn't time waste is because she got a yellow card a few minutes before.

Right before the ref card's her again, the French keeper sends the ball up field, but Tierna cuts out the pass. Tierna then runs with the ball upfield while I move around and try to find space. Eventually I do find space so Tierna boots the ball towards me.

When the ball gets to me, I chest it towards my left then I turn around and volley the ball towards goal from around 35 yards out. I then watch as the ball flies past the French keepers outstretched glove and into the back of the net making the score 3-2 to us.

After the ball hits the net I kiss the tattoo of my Mom's name on my wrist then I'm tackled to the ground.

"I FUCKING LOVE YOU." One of my teammates yells as everyone dog piles on us.

"You can get off now." I say then everyone gets off of me as the ref blows her whistle.

Everyone hugs me then they head off to celebrate with their families.

Once I'm alone I grab the ball out of the net then I walk over to Snowball and scratch her head.

"This ended a lot better then my last World Cup win." I say

Snowball barks and licks my face then we head over to my family.

"MAMA YOU SCORED." London yells.

"I did Princess." I say then I hand her the ball. "Make sure you keep that real safe for me."

"Okay Mama." London says with a smile.

I hug and kiss my kids then I move over to the mother of my children. When I get to Daan she hugs me then she passionately kisses me.

"I'm so proud of you." Daan says.

"Thanks." I say.

"COME ON AUDREY." Someone from US Soccer shouts, but I ignore them and hug my Mama, Siblings, and my Mom.

"I Knew you'd do it." Mom whispers to me. "Now go lift that World Cup trophy."