Chapter 68

*Emmie's POV*

"Goodnight," I said and mom kissed my head.

"Goodnight honey. Night Dylan," she said.

"Night mom," Dylan replied.

I later back in the tailgate of the truck and snuggled under the blankets. "When you coming to bed?" I asked.

"In a little while. I have first watch." she brushed my hair out of my face and kissed my head one more time before walking of.

The three of us were going to sleep side by side in the tailgate. Of course I got stuck in the middle.

"Dylan?"

"What?" He groaned, obviously annoyed.

"Do you think everything will work out?" I could tell he didn't know what I meant.

"I don't know, but I know that you need to go to sleep," she mumbled.

I sighed and turned over. That was and choice because I saw a huge spider next to me. I decided to have some fun with this. I quietly sat up and trapped the spider in my hand.

Spiders creep most people out, but not me. I used to scare Henry with them all the time.

I leaned over Dylan and heard his soft snoring.

Perfect.

I held my hand next to his cheek and the spider climbed onto Dylan. I held in my laugh.

Within seconds, my brothers eyes popped open and he flicked the spider off, then smashing it with his boot.

"Emmie!" He yelled. "What is wrong with you?!"

My smile then turned into a frown. When I played tricks on him, yelling at me was never his reaction. He was always laughing along with me.

"I was just having a little bit of fun," I said.

"Fun? Is that what you call fun?! If I had screamed, I would have attracted every walker nearby to us!" He was really mad this time.

"What is going on?!" Mom sounded mad.

"Emerson put a spider on my face while I was sleeping and almost caused me to scream. It would've attracted every walker around here!" Dylan said.

"Don't call me Emerson!" I yelled in his face.

"Hush up, both of you! People are trying to sleep!" She whisper yelled. "Emmie, I let you come because I thought you were mature enough to do this, but maybe I was wrong."

"I was just having a bit of fun!" I said and my voice cracked. "Henry would've laughed with me!"

Mom gave me a look that said "don't."

"When were are out here with the walkers, you gotta think about what you are doing and how it can effect things," she said.

I sighed and laid down again. Moms watch must be over 'cause she climbed into the truck and got under the blanket.

I felt a bit guilty about what I did so I couldn't sleep. I was still mad at Dylan though.

"Mommy?" I said a while later.

"Hmm?" She sighed.

"I'm sorry," I said. She didn't say anything, she just sighed again. "Are you mad at me?" My voice trembled and cracked. This time, she turned over to face me. She sat up and I did the same. "I'm sorry I played a trick on Dylan! I'm sorry for yelling at you! Please don't hate me!" I cried.

"Em, I would never hate you," she said.

"But you do!" I wiped the year that fell on my cheek.

"No I don't! I could never hate you!" She said.

Then, I heard a twig snap in the distance. Out of reflex, my hand went to my gun. Mom did the same and we looked in the direction of the sound.

||A/N||
I put in some sibling rivalry because who doesn't fight with their siblings!? I know I fight with mine. Sorry for the boring chapter.