Chapter 109

There sat Harper, curled up in a ball, hiding her sobbing face.

"Harper!" Glenn and I said at the same time and ran over. I scooped her up in my arms and held her as right as I could.

"Are you okay?" I asked franticly. "Why didn't you answer back honey?"

She tried to stop crying but couldn't, so she stuttered, "I thought it was a trick. I thought you were walkers."

"You know that walkers don't talk," I said. "I'm just glad you're okay." I squeezed her tight.

"Harper come here," Glenn held out his arms and she leaped into them. "Daddy's gonna check you for scratches okay?" She nodded when Sasha hurriedly came in.

"That herds back, we gotta go," she said.

Harper let out a shriek. "No don't leave me!"

"We won't leave you honey," I said and Glenn picked her up.

"I got you," he said and we went outside where sure enough, a herd was headed our way.

Everyone ran back the way we came. Harper clung to glenn like he was going to leave her behind.

I took down a couple of walkers with my knife before me made it to the house. "Over the fence before the walkers see!"

I grabbed Harper from Glenn and he climbed over.

"Mommy! They're coming!" Harper cried. I lifted her over the fence and someone took her so I could climb over.

I sucked in a deep breath and we went back to the house.

"Are you guys okay?" Tara asked as soon as we got through the door. She smiled at the sight of Harper. "I'm so glad you found her!"

"We are gonna go clean her up and check for scratches," I said. "Is Emmie okay?"

"Nothing new."

I sighed and Glenn and I brought Harper upstairs to the bathroom and sat her on the sink. I pulled out a washcloth and a bottle of water. After I cleaned all the dirt and dry blood, we took her into the bedroom.

"I'll dig some of Emmie's old clothes out in the morning. For now she can just wear one of my shirts," Glenn said and pulled a shirt out of the drawer. "Harper I'm gonna check you for scratches now okay?"

"Ok daddy," she replied. I took off her dirty clothes and handed her to Glenn.

Luckily, she wasn't bit of scratched and I sighed with relief. The whole time Glenn was checking her I was on tenterhooks, waiting to see what would happen. She slipped on Glenn's big T-shirt and went to Henry's only room where her, Judith, Dylan, Carl, and Mia slept.

I laid back on my pillow knowing that my family was safe.......for now.