Chapter 75

The next day was the funeral. Almost everyone in the town went except for the people guarding the wall.

It was aged to listen because I was crying the whole time. But the last part stuck with me. "When you lose a child, the pain is unbearable. Unbearable until you think about how they are with God, and all those who passed before them. So may Addilade Rhee be at peace, and may she stay in the arms of the angels."

After, we thanked father Gabriel for helping with the funeral and we went home.

*Maggie's POV*

I turned the page of the children's book from the town library and started to read it out loud.

"Then he went down to the-" I stopped to the sound of light snoring. I looked down to see that Harper had fallen asleep while I was reading to her. A smile escaped my lips at the sight of her peacefully sleeping. That was the first time I had smiled since........never mind.

I closed the book and placed it on the table, careful not to wake her. Then, I slowly lifted her up like a baby and carried her down the hall. I noticed Emmie was already asleep on the bed across the room. Glenn must've put her to bed.

Slowly, I laid Harper down on the bed. As I pulled the blankets on her, she opened her eyes.

"Momma?" She looked at me with her big brown eyes.

"Yes baby?"

"When's Addie comin'?" This broke my heart. She didn't get that Addie was gone.

"She's not coming back honey, she's gone." It was hard to say that without crying.

"Oh. But I'm still here," she said.

I nodded and kissed her head. "Goodnight."

"Goodnight."

I went and kissed Emmie's head before going into the master bedroom. I placed my guns and knives on the dresser before pulling out some more clothes. Then I felt a pair of arms wrap around me from behind.

I felt him kiss my neck lightly before turning around. My arms wrapped around his neck and I leaned on his shoulder.

We stayed like that for a while until I looked up at his brown eyes. Our lips collided and started to move in sync. I tangled my hands in his hair as he pushed me back on the bed.

"No," I said and broke the kiss. "We can't do this. Not after what just happened. Not so soon."

"I know," he said. I leaned up and kissed him ice more before changing into a T-shirt and sweatpants. I got under the covers of the bed. "I love you."

I smiled. "I love you too."