Chapter 102

"So I'm guessing we are stuck here for the night?" I asked mom and looked over at Landon sleeping on the top bunk of the bunk bed I. The corner.

"Yep."

"Is Carl, Tara, and Abraham going to leave us?" I asked and played with the laces on my combat boots.

She rubbed my back lightly. "They wouldn't leave us. They knew that it was close to dark and that we would probably have to stop somewhere."

"I....just feel like they will," I sighed.

"Why on earth would you think that Em?"

"It's just that....." I stopped and sighed loudly. "Everyone that I've ever known or loved has either died, or just plain left me. Even..........even daddy." I whispered the last part.

"When did-"

"The night of the outbreak. He didn't want to, but he still did. I know that he had to leave Henry and I," I said. I had to clench my jaw to avoid tearing up at the memory.

"You know it's okay to cry right?" Mom asked and side hugged me.

"I know, but I'm not going to," I said.

~~~~~

My eyes popped open as I went into a huge coughing fit. I felt my back being rubbed by mom as I began to throw up and a bag.

"It's okay, let it out Em," she said and held my long hair back. Once I was done throwing up my dinner from the previous night, mom quickly opened the door and tossed the bag outside.

"Sorry," I mumbled and wiped my mouth.

"Don't be sorry honey." She sat down and felt my forehead. "Oh my gosh! Emmie you are burning up!" She turned to Landon who was playing with his action figures. "Landon do you have a first aid kid? It has a big Red Cross on it."

"Yep!" He replied and dug through a cupboard. Landon pulled out a white box with a Red Cross and set it on the bed.

Mom pulled out a thermometer and stuck it in my mouth before putting the kit in her bag. When it beeped, she grabbed it and looked at it. "102.8. Em, when you said yesterday that you didn't feel good, how log was it like that?"

"Since that morning," I coughed. "I have this flu thing that I get every year. It always starts with throwing up and a high fever. I'll be okay."

"We gotta get back to the others," she said and gathered our stuff. "Landon sweetie we have to leave." She handed him a small backpack.

I slowly got up and became dizzy, causing me to stumble around. My coughing continued as we made our way outside and into the woods.

"You stay here Em and I'll clear the way," mom said and rushed far ahead with Landon trailing behind her.

I leaned against the tree I was next to and breathed heavily. I heard at twig snap behind me and as I went to turn, I felt a burning pain in my chest.

I looked down to see blood pooling at my lower rib cage, and I knife sticking out of it.

A/N
Cliffhanger...........not really. Haha. But HUGE shoutout to GlennIsBae for being like the nicest person EVER!!!