Year One - Part One

"AHHHHHHHH! GET IT OUT! GET IT OUT NOW!" I woke with a start. I looked over to my sister Clara's bed and she looked just as startled as I was feeling. It was late, past eleven, and my mother wouldn't wake us up if it wasn't important.

"Is everything alright, Mum?" I shouted from the warm safety of my bed.

"There's an owl in the kitchen!" She screamed back at us through the closed door.

"An owl! Blimey! I wanna see." Clara grinned and she ran out of the room. I hesitantly followed and kept my distance. How in the world did a wild bird get into our flat? Clara had already run downstairs, so I crept down slowly just in case the bird flew by my head.

"It's got a letter!" Clara shouted with excitement. "Why does it have a letter?"

I heard the large screeching sound of a barn owl and my mother yelped again. "It's going to make a mess of my kitchen!" She said exasperated.

"Olivia quit hiding and come see!" Clara giggled. She was enjoying this a little too much.

I took a deep breath and turned the corner of the hallway that led to the kitchen. Two golden eyes of the bird stared at me and he squawked loudly causing me to jump. It wasn't an angry or volatile noise... it was almost friendly? The bird flew across the room causing my mother to scream with terror and my sister to scream with glee. He put the letter in my hands before flying out the open window.

"What's the letter? What's the letter?" Clara shouted eagerly as she tried to snatch it out of my hands.

"It's addressed to me!" I shouted as I held the letter out of her reach. It wasn't hard given that she was younger and a good few inches shorter than me.

"How can it be addressed to you, Ollie?" My mother said as she smoothed out her shirt, "It came from a bird."

"It says so right here, Mum." I pointed to my name. "Olivia Fern."

"Alright, open it then." She sighed and sat down at the kitchen table patiently waiting for me to read the aforementioned letter.

Dear Ms Fern,

We are pleased to inform you that you have been accepted at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.

Students shall be required to report to the Chamber of Reception upon arrival. The dates for which shall be duly advised.

Please ensure that the utmost attention be made to the list of requirements attached herewith.

We very much look forward to receiving you as part of the new generation of Hogwarts' heritage.

Yours Sincerely,
M McGonagall

"I have no idea what any of that means." My mother said, "Is this a prank of some sort? Who could orchestrate something like this? It's very elaborate."

"Are you a witch Ollie?" Clara asked me curiously.

"I- I dunno." I said. I was utterly confused, but kind of excited at the prospect.

"Ollie there's another page to the letter!" Clara said as she pulled it out of my hands. "This one has things you need, but there's another."

"Let me see it, Clara." My mother reached out and Clara handed it to her. She let her eyes skim it carefully before she handed it to me.

To the family of Olivia Fern,

The arrival of this letter may come as a shock to you, but I can assure you that your son/daughter is very special. He/She has a very unique set of gifts that our school of Hogwarts will help him/her cultivate in order to succeed.