Year Three - Part Eight

I was the only one in my immediate friend group going home for the Christmas holiday. I was disappointed that Ron, Harry and Hermione would get to have all kinds of fun running around the near empty castle while I more than likely sat on my Mum's couch eating sweets until my pants wouldn't button closed anymore.

I waited at the train platform for my sister, but she was taking forever. Dean Thomas walked up to me with all of his belongings and smiled. "You going home too?"

"Yeah, me and Clara both are." I said. His smile fell at the sound of her name. They still weren't really on speaking terms even though Clara had chosen to forgive me. I felt bad for him. He had waited all this time for Clara to come to Hogwarts, and when she finally did, she abandoned him immediately.

"I guess I'll be getting on the train then. Do you want me to save you a seat?" He asked.

"Can you save two seats?" I asked hopefully. Dean didn't look too thrilled, but he nodded and climbed aboard.

I stood out in the snowy winter for a while longer when Malfoy walked up to me alone. He stopped in front of me and smirked, "You didn't have to wait for me in the cold, Fern. I don't want to sit with you anyway."

I rolled my eyes and shook my head, "I'm not waiting for you. Clearly I am waiting for my bloody sister who is going to miss the train."

He furrowed his brow and shook his head, "She left for the train a while ago with Nott."

"She's already on board?" I asked. I shoved past Malfoy and climbed inside. He trailed behind me as I went to the Slytherin part of the train. Draco was right. I saw her sitting there staring at Theo with adoration in her eyes. When Theo saw me his own eyes lit up and he leaned forward. "Two Ferns for the price of one."

"Shut up, Theo." I said. I looked at Clara, "Are you really going to sit in here?"

"Yeah, these are my friends." She said unwaveringly. "I'll see you at home for weeks. No need to start now."

Pansy Parkinson laughed at that. She saw Draco standing behind me and her eyes narrowed at me. "Draco, come sit!" She said excitedly, "I saved you a seat." Draco looked at me for a second before he walked past and accepted her invitation. She snaked her arm around his own and smiled victoriously.

I turned my attention back to Clara, "Alright, I'll see you at home... I guess."

I walked towards the opposite side of the train and found Dean sitting with his usual counterparts, Neville and Seamus. Dean looked hopeful when I opened the door, but his face fell considerably when he saw that I was alone. I guess I shouldn't have gotten his hopes up for nothing.

"No luck with your sister then?" Seamus asked. He must have been filled in by Dean.

"Nope." I frowned, "She's still smitten by Theodore Nott. I'm beginning to think he's slipped her a love potion or something."

"He's just stringing her along because he thinks its funny." Neville frowned, "I heard he's dating Marietta Edgecomb, the Ravenclaw."

"He is." I confirmed to them, "I saw them snogging in Hogsmeade when I went with Cedric not long ago."

"Oh yeah, I heard about that." Seamus grinned. "Olivia Fern rejecting Cedric Diggory. I wish I could have seen it."

"Who told you about that?" I crossed my arms and leaned back in my seat. I didn't appreciate being talked about around school.

"I'm not inclined to say." Seamus said with a smirk.

"It was Ron." Dean said at the same time.