Year Six - Part Ten

A few days passed before Ron was allowed to leave the hospital. Lavender had not spoken to him since he called out for Hermione, and Parvati had to break the news to him that they were over; however, Ron could not stop staring at Lavender while we studied. He was twirling his wand around absentmindedly causing the weather to change above our heads in the great hall. It was driving Hermione absolutely mad.

"Ron. Stop. You're making it snow." Hermione said as she looked up from her book. The two of them were finally speaking to each other again as if the past six months never happened. It was a relief for most of us.

"Huh?" Ron looked up completely surprised as snowflakes landed on his face. Harry brushed them off of his textbook for the fifth time in the past few minutes. Hermione clasped her hand over Ron's to make him stop and the two instantly pulled apart, both embarrassed. "Tell me again how I broke up with Lavender?" He asked.

Harry and I looked at each other nervously. And Hermione shifted in her seat, "Um, well, she came to visit you in the hospital, you see, and you talked... I don't believe it was a long conversation..."

"Don't get me wrong." Ron said hurriedly, "I'm bloody thrilled to be shot of her. It's just she seems... a bit put out."

I turned in my seat to look at Lavender and she was glaring at all of us, Ron especially.

"She does, doesn't she?" Hermione sounded pretty satisfied as she continued to pretend not to know anything, "And you say you don't remember a thing from that night? Not one thing?"

"Well... there is... something." Ron said slowly. He shook his head and changed course, "But no. It can't be. Besides, I was completely boggled, wasn't I?"

"Right. Boggled." Hermione looked defeated as she slumped back in her seat. They were right back where they started. Harry and I found it amusing and Ron had no clue why.

Just then, a bunch of girls all left our table and hurried forward to crowd around someone. "What's that about?" I asked as I tried to peer between everyone, though my view was still quite obstructed.

"That's Katie. That's Katie Bell." Hermione said excitedly, "She's finally back from Saint Mungo's."

I stood up with Harry and I could see that Hermione was right. Katie Bell had in fact returned to school. She was pale, and still looked sickly, but she seemed to be in good spirits as she greeted all of her friends.

"I'm surprised her parents let her come back." I said as we watched her talking in a group of girls.

"They almost didn't, from what I heard from Parvati." Hermione told me, "The Patel sisters were almost pulled out of school too, but they managed to convince their parents otherwise."

Harry walked up to her, and I followed close behind him. "Katie, I'm glad you're alright." I told her, "We were so worried."

"They told me you all were there to help when it happened. Thank you." She gave me a weak smile.

"How are you, Katie?" Harry asked her with grave concern.

Katie looked between us knowingly before turning to her friends, "Give me a moment, girls." Her friends didn't object and headed back to their table, being sure to save their friend a seat. "I know you're going to ask, Harry. But I don't know who cursed me. I've tried to remember. Honestly. But I just... can't..."

Katie's eyes shift to someone behind us. We both turned to follow her gaze and saw Draco standing there frozen. He looked shocked to see Katie back at school. He turned on his heel and left the great hall abruptly.

Harry didn't hesitate and followed after Draco quickly. I had to admit, Draco looked extremely guilty running away like that. There was no denying it as much as I would have liked to. Without thinking too much, I followed Harry.