Year Five - Part Two

I knew from the second that McGonagall handed out our schedules at breakfast that this school year was not going to be as great as I had envisioned. Our very first class of the term was Defense Against the Dark Arts with our new professor, Umbridge.

I was running late, so all of the desks were full when I got to class, except for the one next to Malfoy in the back of the room. Reluctantly I pulled out the chair and sat down while he smirked at me. I was annoyed that none of my friends had saved me a seat, and I wanted to say something snide to Malfoy, but before I could Professor Umbridge began speaking.

"Good morning, children. Ordinary Wizarding Level examinations.O-W-Ls. More commonly known as OWLs. Study hard and you will be rewarded. Fail to do so, and the consequences may be severe." She waved her wand and text books were distributed to all of our desks. I didn't even bother to open it when I got mine. "Your previous instruction in this subject has been disturbingly uneven, but you'll be pleased to know, from now on you will be following a carefully structured, Ministry-approved course of defensive magic." She paused when she saw Hermione raise her hand, "Yes?"

"There's nothing in here about using defensive spells." Hermione said.

"Using spells? Well, I can't imagine why you would need to use spells in my classroom." Umbridge laughed.

"Were not gonna use magic?" I blurted out.

"You'll be learning about defensive spells in a secure, risk-free way." Umbridge said.

"What use is that? If we're attacked, it won't be risk-free." Harry said, sounding annoyed.

"Students will raise their hands when they speak in my class." Umbridge snapped at him. She continued to lecture the class about what would be appropriate behavior and course expectations, but I was distracted when Draco slid a piece of parchment over to me.

I leaned forward to read it without looking conspicuous.

I hope you didn't forget about detention later tonight

I rolled my eyes and dipped my quill in ink and began scribbling back a response.

How can I forget when you keep reminding me every bloody chance you get?

"Oh, I don't know. Maybe Lord Voldemort?" I heard Harry practically shout, which brought my attention back to the front of the room as I slid the paper back to Malfoy.

"Now, let me make this quite plain. You have been told that a certain dark wizard is at large once again. This is a lie." Umbridge said in her high pitched voice.

"It's not a lie. I saw him. I fought him." Harry protested angrily.

"Detention, Mr Potter."

Draco slid the piece of parchment back over to me.

Meet me in the empty classroom on the 6th floor at 7

I rolled my eyes when I read it and wrote back.

You're really going to make me miss dinner for this stupid detention?

I slid it back to him.

"Cedric Diggory dropped dead of his own accord?" Harry nearly screamed at Umbridge.

"Cedric Diggory's death was a tragic accident." She tried to assure the increasingly agitated classroom of students.

"It was murder. Voldemort killed him." Harry shouted.

"Enough! Enough." Umbridge said, "I will not stand for this sort of disruption in my classroom. Everyone read chapter one silently." She walked over and stood in front of Harry's desk, "See me later, Mr Potter. My office."