Summer - Part One

After spending nearly a year surrounded by magic, coming back to the muggle world made everything feel mundane and pointless. Sure, I loved seeing my mum and Clara all of the time, but I had this longing inside of me for something more.

"Ollie, something came for you by owl!" Clara shouted up the stairs. I jumped out of my chair and ran down to retrieve my letter. I desperately hoped it was from Ron. We had been writing almost daily to each other. He told me all about Fred and George's constant antics and I had learned a lot about his many other siblings, too. I was dying to find out via his next letter what color the twins were going to change their muggle neighbor's dog into this week.

My face fell when I didn't recognize the neat handwriting on the front of the letter. It was addressed to me though. I carefully opened the wax seal on the back.

"Who is it from?" Clara asked. Her hazel eyes peaked up at me from above the top of the letter.

"It's from my professor." I said as I skimmed the letter. "Mum?" I called out as I finished reading the note.

"Yes, Dear?" She sang from the kitchen. She was dancing to Joni Mitchell in a way that only a mother could. I shook my head with embarrassment.

"Have you been speaking to my professor?" I asked.

"Oh! Yes. I have been, actually. Did Minerva write to you?"

"Yes. I just got it. But I'm confused. She wants me to do a summer internship?" I wrinkled my nose. I was only twelve years old. There weren't many internships that I could successfully complete, certainly not magical ones seeing as we weren't allowed to use magic outside of school.

"Yeah. It sounds wonderful. Minerva told me all about it." It felt strange that my mother referred to Professor McGonagall by her first name. It made them seem like they were friends. Perhaps they were. I tried to imagine them getting tea together. I laughed to myself at the idea of my mother petting her in her cat form. "You will start working at Flourish and Blotts. It's a bookstore, I believe?"

My eyes lit up, "I get to work in Diagon Alley?"

"Yes, Ollie. I know how sad you've been since you got home and this could be really good for you. And I didn't tell you the best part yet. You will get paid! If you save what you earn, then you'll have much more spending money during the school year."

"Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!" I squealed as I ran to hug her.

"Can I go?" Clara pleaded.

"I'm afraid not." My mother said sadly. "Perhaps if you get a letter for Hogwarts next year then you will be able to go to Diagon Alley with Ollie."

"Ollie gets to do everything!" Clara screamed before storming off to our shared bedroom. I looked at my mom and she just stood there with her lips pursed.

She shook her head, "It's been like this ever since you left. She's jealous, but she will get over it. Don't let her spoil your wonderful news. When do you start, does it say?"

"Tomorrow." I grinned. "I need to pick out what I'm going to wear!"

***

I couldn't sleep all night long. I kept picking out new outfit combinations much to the dismay of my sister who was desperately trying to sleep. I had settled on a slightly cropped tank top, oversized flannel and jeans, paired with a pair of sandals. I wanted to be comfortable and didn't like the idea of dressing up too much just for work.

My mother dropped me off at the Leaky Cauldron on her way to the hospital to do her rounds and I found Professor McGonagall waiting on me.

"Hello Professor." I greeted her politely. She smiled and put down her cup of tea.