Year Five - Part Ten

Now that the DA was over, we had much more time to study for our exams. Well, some of us did. Harry spent most of his time with Professor Snape learning Occlumency. Ron wasn't really bothering to try at all. The only person studying harder than me was Hermione.

I put my all into studying for the OWLs and really didn't pay attention to much else. Even the day of my charms exam I was studying by myself in the early morning. I was caught off guard when Fred Weasley slid into the seat across from me at breakfast.

"I would say good luck on your OWLs today, but I don't think you'll be needing it." He grinned.

I stared at Fred in complete surprise unsure of what to say to him. "Right... uh... thanks Fred. I appreciate it."

"What time is your charms exam?" He asked curiously as he peered over my notes.

"Half past Four. Why?" I eyed him suspiciously, "You're not planning anything are you? I need to pass this exam."

"You'll pass. There's no doubt in my mind you won't make perfect grades on your OWLs. You've always been one of the smartest witches at Hogwarts."

"That title will always go to Hermione." I said as I looked back down at my notes.

"Don't let her academic successes shadow your own achievements." He told me pointedly.

"When did you get so wise?" I grinned as I looked back up at him. He had a determined glint in his eyes.

"Well, I was set to graduate this year." He shrugged, "I suppose I am old and wise now, so you should listen to me."

"What do you mean, was set to graduate?" I questioned.

"Caught that, did you?" He smirked, "Don't worry about it too much." He stood up. "Good luck on the exam, Liv."

The charms exam was my third one of the day and I was absolutely exhausted while I tried to look over the essay portion. I felt like I might pass out on the desk. I looked over and Ron actually was sleeping.

I had forgotten all about what Fred had said to me. There wasn't room for it in my brain along with everything I had to memorize for the test. But as soon as I could hear some sort of commotion in the hallway it all came flooding back vividly.

I looked back towards the doors to the great hall and Umbridge called out to me, "Miss Fern, eyes forward!" I turned back and looked at my exam. Honestly, I had been done for a while now and was just staring at my unchanging answers.

The noises in the hallway got louder and Umbridge was now getting concerned. She hopped out of her chair and waddled to the doors and opened them. As soon as she did, the noises stopped.

A small spark whizzed past her head and into the exam room. That spark broke off into several other sparks, which erupted in the ceiling as fireworks.

Suddenly Fred and George flew in on their confiscated brooms. All of our exams went flying off the tables and up into the air, and we all jumped to our feet.

I laughed with delight as more fireworks flew above my head. Filch and Umbridge ran around frantically trying to stop them, but things were well beyond their control at this point.

Fred and George threw one last firework in the air and it turned into a giant dragon that headed straight for Umbridge. She ran away squealing like a little pig, which she resembled quite well in her pink frock.

We all ran outside in delight as the Weasley twins flew out of the school. They lit off one last firework that was shaped like a W, the same font as my bracelet that Fred had given me for Christmas.