Year Six - Part Five

It was the afternoon of our next quidditch match and Ron was on edge. He brought the mood down in our group right before every single game without fail, and constantly threatened to quit the team. It annoyed Harry the most because he did everything he could to get Ron on the team.

Practices weren't going great either, from what I had been told. Ron was worrying himself sick and constantly second guessing himself. He wasn't a bad player at all, he just got in his own head too much.

"Good luck, eh, Ron?" Neville said as he passed by.

Seamus was the next to walk by, "Counting on you, Ron. I've two Galleons on Gryffindor." This made Ron feel even more guilty about how poorly he had been playing lately.

The worst of all was Cormac McLaggen who had been giving Ron the death stare all of breakfast. It had not gone unnoticed by Ron. Cormac was still jealous about Ron getting what he thought was his spot on the team.

"Slughorn's Christmas Party is coming up, and we're meant to bring someone." Hermione said once there was a lull in the quidditch talk. She was desperate to change the subject.

"I expect you'll be going with McLaggen. Isn't he a member ofthe Slug Club?" Ron scowled.

"Actually, I was going to ask you." Hermione frowned. She seemed upset all of a sudden. I knew how uncomfortable Cormac made her. He was always giving her suggestive glances.

"Really?" Ron perked up at the idea.

"Really. But seeing as you have such a distaste for the idea, I should probably reconsider." Hermione said. "Do you have any idea who you are taking, Olivia?" She asked me.

"I haven't really thought about it." I said quietly. In fact, the thought had crossed my mind, but I hadn't the slightest clue who I would go with. The only boy in my life these days was Draco Malfoy, and I couldn't take him to the party, nor would he even want to be my date. "I would have asked Dean Thomas as a friend, but he's obviously spoken for."

Lavender Brown waltzed over to our table and stopped right in front of Ron. "Good luck today, Ron! I know you'll be brilliant!" She looked at him rather intensely, not breaking eye contact for a solid 30 seconds before she ran off again. Ron smiled feebly before looking down at his plate. Hermione looked furious.

"I'm resigning." Ron said quickly, "After today's match. McLaggen can have my spot."

"Have it your way." Harry said as he shoved a goblet over towards Ron, "Juice?"

"Sure..." Ron said unenthusiastically.

Luna Lovegood walked over and sat down next to me. I grimaced at the sight of her giant Lion head that she wore for every Gryffindor match. She even wore it when we played Ravenclaw.

"Hello, everyone. You look dreadful, Ron." Luna said as Ron sank lower in his seat. "Is that why you just put somethingin his cup. Is it a tonic?" She was looking at Harry who grinned. He opened his hand to show the vial of Felix Felicis.

"Don't drink that, Ron!" Hermione gasped. Ron was frozen with his cup in the air, about to drink it. He thought about it for a second before he downed the entire goblet. "You could be expelled for that." she scowled.

"Hermione come off it. If we haven't been expelled by now, we probably won't ever be." I rolled my eyes.

"I dunno what you're talking about." Harry laughed. "I didn't do anything."

Ron stood up with more confidence than I had ever seen. "C'mon, Harry. We've got a game towin." The two boys left the table excitedly to head out to quidditch.