Year One - Part Three

I yelped as food magically appeared on the tables in front of us. Everyone else began digging into the food and filling up their plates immediately. I tentatively grabbed for the plate of pot roast and filled my own plate accordingly. The two twins from the train laughed and grinned at me.

"I just love muggle borns, don't you George?" One asked the other.

"But of course, Fred." George replied. "Who wouldn't?"

"A Slytherin, I suppose." Fred said with a crooked grin as he kept his eyes trained on me.

I looked at them confused, "Slytherins don't like muggle-borns?" I was finally getting grasp of the wizarding terminology. Muggle meant non-magical folk. "That explains so much already." I thought back to a few occurrences I had had the past few days.

"Olivia..." Fred said as he eyed me with a mischievous glint in his eyes.

"And Hermione." George said as he looked at my friend sitting by my side.

"Let us formally introduce ourselves. I'm Fred, and this is my twin brother George." Fred slapped the back of a boy with dreadlocks sitting next to him, "And this git here is our good friend Lee Jordan."

"Cheers." Lee said with a brief smile before he returned to his conversation with the girl sitting beside him. They were arguing about something called quidditch and which broom would be best.

"We're in our third year here. So we know a thing or two. Just ask us for anything you two need." Fred assured us. "And I mean anything. Contraband included and encouraged."

"I am going to pretend I didn't hear that." An older red-headed boy said in a monotone voice. Fred rolled his eyes.

"That's our brother Percy the perfect prefect." George said lowly. "Just ignore him, everyone else does."

"Is he your brother too?" I pointed at Ron who was stuffing his food as if this was the last meal he would ever have. He looked up when he noticed I was referring to him.

"Unforumate--y" Ron said through a mouthful of food.

"Finish your food first, Ronald. Honestly how old are you?" Hermione scolded and Ron shot her a nasty glare that could rival Malfoy's.

"I said unfortunately." Ron repeated after he swallowed his mouthful of food.

"Switch seats with me." Hermione pleaded as she looked at Percy. "I want to discuss future classes with our house prefect."

I graciously complied with her and found myself sitting next to Ron. He looked at me with an awkward smile. Honestly he looked relieved to no longer be sitting next to Hermione. She was a bit much at times, so I understood it, but I thought people like Ron might be too hard on her.

"So you're a muggle-born?" Ron asked me curiously.

I scrunched up my nose, "Why does that fascinate people so much?"

Ron shook his head, "Oh it's not a big deal really. My dad works in the Muggle Artifacts division of the Ministry of Magic. So we hear quite a bit about muggles around home." None of what he just said to me made any sense. What kind of artifacts?

"I'm half and half." A little boy named Seamus spoke up, "Me dad's a Muggle. Mam's a witch. Bit of a nasty shock for him when he found out." A few people chuckled at the thought. I didn't really have an opinion either way.

"What about you, Neville?" Ron asked my friend from the train.

"Well, my gran brought me up and she's a witch," said Neville, "but the family thought I was all Muggle for ages."